Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
A few mths ago, I bought an aechmea fasciata "Primera" which had a flower, in full bloom, on the the main plant & another (not fully opened) on an offshoot. The main flower recently died & became papery & easily removed.The plant, itself still appears ok, though it has been extremely busy below the surface, as it has grown another four offshoots, five altogether!!! clap Now I need some advice on what (& how) to do re separating them from the mother plant, it's getting a bit crowded in the pot!! We are in the early days of spring here, & I believe the aechmea fasciata tends to flower in the Autumn (that's if it is going to) & wonder when would be a good time to do anything major with this plant. Many thanks wavy

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Let's see my book says you need to divide the babies to keep from overcrowding. Fast draining but moisture retentive soil. Keep central tube or cup full of water but only water soil when it's dry. Need shaded places with good air circulation and bright light to bloom. I'm not sure how helpful this is. Keep checking in. Someone more knowing may show up.
The lobelias you mentioned are a winter/spring plant here and fry in our summer heat. I have only had very protected ones live over and never had any luck with seeds.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Joyous2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thankyou, jonni13 for your info. Our climate here would be very similar to coastal Sthn Cal so I shall make sure the lobelias don't cook completely, they are rather English country gardenish, aren't they? As for the aechmea, I water the "cups" daily & never fertilise, as instructed on its care tag & it seems to be travelling ok, it's that I don't want to damage the parent plant too much when I detach the babies. So am hoping someone will be able to pass on tips on how to do this (the easy way, I hope!!) It is outside in a shady, airy, but protected spot which gets late sun in summer. Seems happy, hope it won't get too upset when its babies move to their own homes. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image