Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#123772 Sep 4th, 2007 at 07:10 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I finally have a space cleared and ready to plant some veggies. It gets tons of sun from noon on, and some sun in the a.m. Is this a decent place to plant tomatoes and peppers?
And, if I take a tomato from the grocery store that has started going bad, and stick it in the ground right now, will it grow into a tomato plant? I'm in SoCal, so I don't think weather is an issue. Same question with pepper seeds I scooped out of a grocery store pepper. Thanks!
:)Geegee

Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
wavy

Sounds like a good place, as long as it stays warm there for a while {I'm in New York City, and nothing can really be planted, or will live past, about october-april here]

I wouldn't take a tomato from the store, they sometimes have preservitaves and stuff to make them last lnoger on the shelfs... unless it's specifically labeled "organic produce" or something like that..
your best best is to get a seedling from a nursery, or find some seeds, and plant them thumbup

Also, make sure the soil is loose, and has enough fertilizer, compost, or just fresh soil and whatnot in it thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Okay, cool, thanks! That's kinda what I was wondering about the store-bought ones, like if whatever they've been treated with might prevent them from growing. So I'll look for some that are already started.

Same with peppers, you think it's better to go buy one that's already started? The speficific ones I'm wanting to grow are the yellow and orange ones. (The ones that cost 6 bucks a pound at the store!)

Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
thumbup

Either already started, or you can do straight from seed! If you can't find good seeds, post a topic in the plant/seed/cutting exchange!

I'd do the same with peppers thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
You can plant the seeds that you scoop out of tomato and peppers. I mean you've got nothing to lose by putting the seeds into the ground, but there are some benefits to starting the seeds first. Starting the seeds and then transplanting will probably give you a better germination rate and control over spacing, and you pepper and tomato plants don't like to be too close together. If you're not familiar with starting plants from seed, then you're probably better off buying plants that have already been started.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
There is no harm using seeds from a vegatable from a grocery store bought fruit/vegatable. But know that in order for the seed to be good, it should be taken out of a vegatble that was fully ripend so that the seeds are fully developed or you may end up with a low germination rate. The seeds need to be fully dry from air drying (not heated in a dehydrator or oven). The thing you need to watch for is the type of vegtable. Alot of vegtables are hybrids- theyve been purposely cross bred with another cultivar. When you use the seeds from saved hybrid vegtables- they seldom grow the same- they tend to revert back to one of its parent cultivars. If its a pure strain it will be fine, but they sometimes cross breed in fields from where they were grown by bees pollinating. The best bet is to use known good seeds, but saving seeds is a good hobby too- I do it with my hot peppers, because the stores dont sell the ones I grow. peppers and tomatoes need Full sun, they are warm weather crops. It may still grow in partially shaded areas, but not nearly as good.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image