Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#120114 Aug 28th, 2007 at 06:49 PM
OP Offline
Last Tuesday and WEdnesday were extremely hot days here in SE Ohio. My Coleus has suffered tremendous. AFter I saw it wilting on Thursday I brought it inside after the rain that we had. There was water still in the pot which I drained off. Now it has been a week and it still looks awfully wilting. I took some of the big leaves off of it thinking it would help but it hasn't. I have it in a room with lots of indirect sunlight.

Please help me make it feel better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Carla

Carla
Zone 6a
CarlaH0318 #121900 Aug 31st, 2007 at 09:00 PM
Does the pot have drainage holes? Get the plant back out into natural light. Was the plant purchased as a bedding plant? What kind of light was the container in? Has the plant been fed recently?

If the soil is still soggy that could be causing the plant to wilt. Check the leaf stem where it attaches to the main stem. If the leaf stem is mushy that is a virus.

When a plant is brought immediately from outdoor to indoor conditions the lighting is so inadequate that can cause leaf drop/wilting. It's better to shield outdoor containers and planters with a cover or move them under something like a table or solid patio furniture. A few hours or overnight in a garage are ok but then the plant should go back outside.

herbalyn #123146 Sep 3rd, 2007 at 12:19 PM
OP Offline
The pot has drainage holes. The plant is back outdoors. It wilted after 2 days of hot, humid weather. The container has morning sun until 12 noon.

My grandmother was up to inspect the plant. I noticed that there are new leaves "baby leaves" coming out of the stem. The stem is hard. We took the majority of the leaves that were easy to take off. We left the rest of the leaves on the plant. I have been spraying it with a Dawn (dish detergent) water mixture on the plant.

Carla
Zone 6a

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image