Rate Thread
#123112 Sep 3rd, 2007 at 10:00 AM
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I have a couple of chickadees that will fly towards me and/or Marton if the feeders are empty, perch very nearby, and give us a 'whats up with no seed?' look. One or two have even landed on the feeders as I bring them out to hang them up, filled.
So, I get an idea! idea Marton works for a company that makes medical training dummies. CPR, obstetrics, etc etc. I asked him if there is a reject hand can he bring one home. That way the birds will learn to eat out of a hand and maybe i can hand feed them.
On friday he brought me home a hand! clap He put the fake hand in the branch near the platform feeder to get them used to the sight of it. Then yesterday he attatched the hand to the tree where we hang the feeders, and put some seed in its palm. The nuthatch was the first brave bird to land on it and take some seed. As well as a few others.
So this morning I think, instead of bringing out the feeders, why dont I just go out with a handful of seed, put it in my cupped palms and see if Dee-dee (I call the chickadees dee-dee's) will take his breakfast from me. AND IT WORKED!! clap I stood near the fake hand and stayed still staring at my palms, and down came little dee-dee, landed on my fingers, kept looking at me to see if I was going to try to eat him, took a seed and off he went. Then another and another and a couple more! It was Soooooooo CoooooooL!! Yeah, it could have been the same one returning for another seed, but when 2 came at once then i knew there was more than 1 taker.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Wrennie that is so COOOOOL!!!!!! clap

What a neat idea you had! So glad it worked!! grin bow

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
heres the hand with a dee-dee on it.
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,860
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image