Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#95383 Jul 22nd, 2007 at 08:36 PM
Unigirl Offline OP
OP Offline
Where can you buy a canner? I have looked everywhere and all I can find is a large tamale steamer with a rack in the bottom. Thanks

Uni

Unigirl #95417 Jul 23rd, 2007 at 04:09 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wal-Mart has them.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
#95611 Jul 23rd, 2007 at 08:06 AM
Unigirl Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmm, I checked Wal-Mart first, maybe they were just out of stock. I will check some of my hardware stores and see. Sometimes the big city is not all it is cracked up to be, lol. egad Maybe Ace Mart will them, they are a restaraunt supply store, why didn't I think of thay sooner? My roots showing again, lol. Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!

Uni

Unigirl #95857 Jul 23rd, 2007 at 03:13 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I bought one today for small bottles, Wal-mart was sold out lol , found one at the hardware store though and it was the last one they had.

Sunflowers #122580 Sep 2nd, 2007 at 09:25 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
You can check garage sales for the canning racks, and if you have a large stock pot that the rack will fit in, then you are set!

What are you wanting to can? Some things, like green beans, require a pressure cooker. If ya' have any questions, feel free to PM me,anytime. thumbup

[Linked Image]
Land of the FREE, home of the BRAVE
ksgardnr #122597 Sep 2nd, 2007 at 09:57 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I sell them in my store.

Wrennie #123608 Sep 4th, 2007 at 11:28 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
Just to let you know, I went to Ace Hardware this weekend looking for something else, and spotted a row of canning stuff. You can buy the racks separately, and the pans also. They had a lot of items to choose from.

[Linked Image]
Land of the FREE, home of the BRAVE
ksgardnr #127862 Sep 11th, 2007 at 02:03 PM
I have a little story about canning with the grandparents when I was a pipsqueak:

Grandma and Grandpa Lindia lived in Newark, NJ. Both my grandparents were 5'5"--tall and wide! All the first/second generation Italians had a "kitchen" in the basement, too, for some reason [gigantic families that never left the neighborhood then?].

The stove was amazing~one of those where some of the burners had flat, iron lids. Anyway.....

Fall must have been wine making and canning season. I could always tell 'cuz when I alighted from the bus from school in those Indian Summer days, the fruit flies hit me in the face! Walking up the block [picking fly carcasses from my teeth], the curbs were lined with broken up, stacked wooden boxes with half-torn pictures of big, purple grapes and plum tomatoes~swarming with crunchy, little bugs.

Gramma and "Pappa" would shout from the cellar, "Caterina, andiamo. Subito!" I'd peel the woolen uniform off, slip on shorts, and go down the brick steps through the screen door. The apron usually hit me in the puss [Gramma's arthritic pitch wasn't very good].

They had a regular assembly line going down there. Pappa had a belt attached between the food grinder and a motor. He'd bring over a bubbling pot of tomatoes. Everyone had cases of soda delivered then. Green and clear glass bottles, still dripping from being boiled. I'd put a basil leaf in a bottle and ladle tomatoes into a funnel. "Aspettare! No too much, heh?' Then I'd reach into a cardboard box, get a gold cap, and pull down on the machine handle. [From a small child, I thought we were poor because they bought 14 carat bottlecaps.] Then the bottle went into this huge, galvanized laundry tub, bubbling on the stove. Pappa would use his flannel work shirts to wrap the bottles. Steam glistened on the fabric like wet, navy and red snowflakes. My mother-in-law [2nd generation Italian] told me that was called "cold packing." She used mason jars.

We had fresh tomatoes for gravy [tomato sauce] every month of the year!

The basil [basinicola] and parsley were grown in grape boxes atop the cinder block fences that separated the yards behind city dwellings. When the grapes were fermenting in the huge barrels in the basement, it was like Frankenstein's la-bore-atory. You got into the basement from inside by pulling up this very heavy, wooden door in the pantry floor and hooking to the wall so you didn't get brain-damaged creeping down the steps. And, creep I did. The only lights were a series of bulbs and strings that hung from the ceiling every few feet.

When the clocks fell back an hour, there were clotheslines in the basement. In the 60's we all had to wear stockings, and if we could afford them, the new invention~pantyhose. Since they were washed every night, I had to go to the basement on those black mornings by nearly ripping my arm out of its socket, creeping down the creaky steps, pulling those strings when they hit me in the face, and running like a cheetah down the aisle of bubbling grapes. Now I know why all my aunts were prematurely gray. I started at 18.

When I got married, my husband wanted to know what all those brown scars were on my shins. Olive complexions make really ugly scars! Next time~Christmas cooking in the cellar [If anyone is interested.]

KAT2007 #127866 Sep 11th, 2007 at 02:12 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Kat, you have a wonderful way of telling your stories, I could smell the tomatoes cooking.

You should start up your own topic in Banter Hall. What wonderful memories you have of your grandparents, do tell us more.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image