Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
This is first copy and will probably be revised. Any advice or suggestions welcome.

I’m writing this letter to you because I feel that there are some issues about my job that need to be resolved.

This all started back in April when I began to have problems with my foot. My doctor had put me on light duty that stated no lifting over 30 pounds and no prolonged standing. This is about the time that I began to be treated differently at work, particularly, Kim.

On August 2, 2007, I had surgery on my foot to resolve the ongoing problems I had been having with it. Prior to my surgery, Jeanett, Angie, and I had made a verbal agreement that when I returned to work I would take over the staffing duties and Angie would take over central supply. On Thursday August 9, 2007 I had come into work to give Larry a copy of my doctor’s note allowing me to return to work. While I was there I talked to Jeanett and let her know that I would be in on the following Tuesday, which was August 14, 2007.

When I came to work on August 14th, I went to my office and started to look over the schedules, because I was still under the impression that I was to do staffing. A little later in the day I was called into Larry’s office where it was brought to my attention that I was being written up for failing to check in with either Kim or Jeanett. Neither Kim or Jeanett had ever mentioned to me before my return to work that I was to check in with them. I believe that I should not have been written up for something that I was never told I was supposed to do and I felt that the situation was handled very poorly and I felt I was treated very harshly. My understanding of the policies and procedures were that a verbal warning was to come first if you do something wrong. I did not get a verbal warning, instead I was yelled at and written up. I have been a good employee at Columbia Lutheran Home for 3 years and have never so much as gotten a warning for anything before.

After that day I did as Kim asked and I checked in with her or Jeanett every day and let them know what I was working on that day. Jeanett had asked me to start helping out in the Birch dining room and I have been doing that at lunchtime every day. This is the only extra thing that I have been asked to do by either Kim or Jeanett.

On Friday August 31, 2007, I was again called into Larry office to talk about my job performance. He notified me that there had been complaints and that rumor’s are being spread about me refusing to do work and that one of my supervisor’s was threatening to fire me. This is unprofessional and caused a great deal of stress for me. I have never once refused to do anything any of my supervisor’s has asked me to do. I was specifically told that it was rumored that I had refused to work the floor. This is a plain lie. I was not able to do full duties as a CNA because of my light duty status, but I still went to the floor if I was asked and would take vitals, change people in bed, and help in the dining rooms. Also, never once has Kim or Jeanett approached me to talk to me about what I may have been doing wrong. This is because I have done nothing wrong. If there are other duties that were expected of me, they were not communicated to me and it is to no fault of my own for not doing them.

I feel I am being discriminated against for having an injury and I am being harassed. This is not only unlawful, it also puts a great deal of stress on me and it isn’t right. I shouldn’t have to feel like my job is in jeopardy for doing what I have been asked to do and for what has been agreed upon for me to do. If this issue does not get resolved I will be seeking an attorney. If you have any questions or would like to meet with me, please free do so at anytime.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Well, I need to take care of this before I get fired or just get fed up and quit. I can't afford either right now and up until I hurt my foot I never had any issues about my job performance at work. Some women should never be put into positions of power. I hope my regular boss gets back soon and then everything should go back to normal. She at least likes me and knows I do a good job.

5k Posts
5k Posts
I think it sounds great, precise & to the point. But be sure to have another job on line~up just in case something DOES happen. I have also worked for people like this & it is very humiliating. Wishing you the best thumbup

[Linked Image]
Land of the FREE, home of the BRAVE
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Best of luck to you, Cheryl, in this very difficult situation.

If you do try to edit your letter, please be careful not to edit too much or the story won't make sense. Stick to what you have already because it makes your point well.

However, are you SURE you want to add the bit about contacting a lawyer? That is sort of like showing your hand in a game of cards.... it may be better to keep that tidbit of information private.

I know how tough it is to write documents such as this and I think you did a good job.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
to be truthful, Cheryl, if I was the boss and read this letter, I'd be firing those two and giving you the raise!!!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
CHeryl DITTO to what Cindy said!

The entire content was to the point and without reservation! It is well written , The only thing I might suggest is asking for a meeting with the person(s) responsible for saying you refused to do a task ,, (as possibley there was a misunderstanding or miscommunacation with them and they worded it in a way that it fell on you,)

I have had to deal with that kind of stuff on my job for 10 years, I always stand up to my Boss when I know I'm right, I refuse to let anyone try to take my integrity away from me and I Stand up and fight to keep it, I've earned it and it's mine and it's priceless soooo Stand for what you know is right and just!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Thank you. I'm not very good at standing up for myself, whenever I get mad, frustrated, or any sort of strong emotion comes over me I cry. And them I'm embarrassed. That's why I wrote a letter rather than just asking to speak to him. Also, if I do get fired for something and they try to fight me being able to get unemployment, I'll have something in writing to be able to fight with.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts

Good letter. Rest assured they can not fire you unless they have written examples of whatever problem they are blaming on you. You could have a lawsuit against them and say they have fired you because of your injury.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Here in TX you can get fired at any given time with or without severance pay, and by law they don't have to give a reason and it's very hard to fight for your $$$ for unemployment here, absolutely cannot get it if you quit and it very dificult to get if you get fired unless you had a boss you doesn't want to bother going to a hearing,, then you can get Unemployment by default,To take an employeer to court and win is extremely difficult . Everything has to be documented when an occurance happened and who was involved down to the minute of the day,, and willing employees including supervisors /dept heads to testify in your behalf, As far as an injury on the job,, employeers can "eliminate" the postiion, can justify it by calling it "Downsizing" to let you '"go" after an injury, and you could never prove otherwise,, and the employeer can rehire again in 30 days to fill the 'SO called downsized position" and by law he/ she can legally do it here,

Just......... One of the Bad things about TX,,.

I sure Hope Washington has Better "Employeer Ethics and Laws" then down here!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
good grief that's terrible. In NC an employer has to have some type of reason to fire you and state and federal employees can fight being fired easily. That's why there are so many incompetent government employees. It's like the employee is innocent until proven guilty. That's after the orientation period. There has to be a policy about an orientation period and during that orientation period they can be let go without giving a reason. I'm sure it started out as a good thing to protect jobs for people being fired without cause (like in Texas I imagine) but now people can slack off and not worry about it. We have several people at work who don't do any work, will tell you they're at the office to make their 8 hours, sit at their desk. talk on the phone, stay on the computer, but aren't fired because there has to be so much documentation. They get bad evaluations but they don't care. They get a paycheck just like the rest of us.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
kissie keep us posted cheryl, i'm sorry you have this problem but your letter is well written and you have received good information/advice.

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Well, everything seems to be okay at work for now. I sort of had a breakdown this morning and got some things cleared up with one of my supervisor's and the human resources director. I sort of had to admit that he was the one giving me info but oh well. I guess sometimes all you need to do is break down and cry and things get better. So I never ended up typing a letter to the big boss. The human resources director had already talked to him and he was actually pretty friendly towards me today and asked how my foot was doing. So I guess no matter what Kim thinks of me, I've got plenty of people on my side and can see that I am a valuable employee who is just going through a rough patch right now and it's only temporary and then things should get back to normal. I am able to walk around without crutches now but I'm back in the boot. I hate the boot. Hopefully within a week or two I can downsize to the air cast and actually wear a real shoe on my left foot. Now I just need to get myself out of this financial mess I'm in and I can finally be my normal, happy, not stressed out self again.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Glad you got some thing settled Cheryl. Hoping everything works out quickly for you.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image