Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#122070 Sep 1st, 2007 at 10:30 AM
OP Offline
This has probably been asked before:
I have an ivy that I have fought with for a year now. I have tried fertilizer, less water, more water, less light, more light, etc. I finally thought I was speaking it's language because it began showing new growth. The new growth, however, turns black and shrivels up. The first time, I cut it off and thought it might have needed more water. The next time, I kept it moist but the new growth did the same thing. Any advice?

Jeremiah 29:11
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
do you know what kind of ivy it is? Or do you have a picture of the shrivel?

Ivys enjoy a nice cool shower every now and again. You can hang it in your shower and give it a sprinkle of cool water.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #122278 Sep 1st, 2007 at 07:06 PM
OP Offline
I think it is just an English Ivy. I will try to get a pic.

Jeremiah 29:11
500 Posts
500 Posts
Plants react slowly to environmental changes. Maybe you are changing too many things too quickly. Find it a place where it gets a bit of sun and some bright daylight, like an east or west window. Have it in a pot that drains and don't let it sit in the water that comes through. Water it when the soil is dry down to your second knuckle, ~1 1/2 to 2 inches. This will probably be once every 1 or 2 weeks, and will change with air temp, humidity, when the heat comes on in the winter. You're not locked into a schedule. Don't fertilize. Let it do the rest. We're coming into fall; it's not going to be putting out lots of new growth. Some, but not a lot. Don't think of yourself as fighting with it. It wants to live and grow, too. You're helping it to do that in an unnatural environment, a pot in your house. Good luck and keep us posted!

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Hedera (English) ivy does best in bright indirect light. Assuming it is in an appropriate sized pot, let the soil dry out an inch or so between waterings.

Star Dancer #143774 Oct 20th, 2007 at 07:12 PM
I agree with the lighting and watering recommended by Margaret. I just got my first Hedera, but I am running into a problem with the leaves wilting and drying out (which sounds like the same problem initially posed). Any advice ??

Jillbc #144007 Oct 20th, 2007 at 10:16 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i've been watering mine from below - i set it into a container and fill with water and let it be drawn up into the pot the ivy is in. i add additional water and let it sit again (it takes a while for the water to be absorbed into the soil). when the top of the soil is just feeling soft/a little moist is when i take the pot out of the water and let any excess water drain off. i let it get very dry before i water again. it's been doing very well since i've been watering it like this.

it's in a west-facing window that has a thick shear curtain so, altho it gets very bright light it's not in direct sun.

Last edited by Joclyn; Oct 20th, 2007 at 10:20 PM.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image