Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Lynne are the fish in yet?

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Well... it's the beginning of the season, and Don spent most of this afternoon working on rebuilding the rocks on the waterfall area. Too bad the weather wasn't what they were predicting all week - it was supposed to be sunny and near 60, but instead it is raw, very cloudy and only in the 40's. He did as much as he could, and now needs to wait for this first layer of foam to set before he can do the next layer.

Looking good so far, don't ya think?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
WOW I was wondering when this thread was going to start back up this spring! clap

Bless his heart out there working in raw weather,, Seems he's getting anxious to get it up and running too!! grin

and Yep it looks good so far!! Here's wishing good sunny warm weather for you and Don from here on out! flwr

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Looks good Lynne. thumbup Won't be long until it's pond time, it'll go fast! My water has warmed up a lot lately, it's actually(according to the thermometer), time to start feeding again.....For the past few weeks it's consistently been above the min. temp for it, so I threw them some food yesterday and they went crazy eating. lol

I can't wait to see how your fish do in the pond, and how much they love it! thumbup

They'll think they are in the ocean, like mine did. haha

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Well I mulched the front of the pond the other day, just need more for around the sides....see the back of the pond? Well it's a slope down and I want to build a retaining wall back there and fill it in with dirt and make it level with the front, with perhaps a waterfall coming down the back middle of it. The right side of the pond is really deep, like 3 feet....right where you see the pond pump/filter is the drop off.

[Linked Image]

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Lookin' good, loz!

Wellllllll here we go again! rolz
Don had the waterfall pump going for about 4 days, and this morning we both noticed very dark dirt along both sides of the fall from top to bottom - yes it is leaking AGAIN!!! boohoo After he did all that work reworking the rocks to prevent that! tapfoot He's been refilling the pond each day, because it has still been losing a lot of water. uhuhh We cannot afford to be doing that everyday, as we pay deeply for water!

He thinks it's leaking from up top where it actually comes out of the pump.
I am sooooo hoping this will be an easy fix - I am getting VERY frustrated with what should be an enjoyable feature in our yard! why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Looking great Lynne and Loz.

Sorry you're still having trouble with the leak though.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Ugh, that bites that you still have a leak Lynne.....mine doesn't leak but I do need to top it off EVERYDAY in the summer.....the water really evaporates a lot....luckily I don't have a water meter.

I sure hope Don can get it fixed up so you can sit out there and enjoy it like you should be doing. thumbup

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Well he's thinking the waterfall is as good as it will get now - hopefully we won't lose much water anymore - hard to tell since we had rain and cold weather the past few days and a bunch more to come.

I'm trying to plan out the gardens there and I need some ideas for perennials to plant on the waterfall hill on either side of the rocks there - since perennials only bloom for such a short time, I need something that has interesting foliage - nothing too high, and I'd like to plant 3 going down on each side, right next to the rocks? The entire area gets all day full sun, and the soil is very hard, dense clay. Also... I'm in zone 6, so not all perennials will work unfortunately.

Any ideas?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Is there a certain color you'd like Lynne? Probably blue. :wink:

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Not so much color for this part of the gardens - the hilly part, but interesting leaves - not too tall either - spreading would be great!

The rest of the flat areas around the ponds sides will have lots of orange - to compliment the fish! - and many of my perennials that I need to move because they've gotten too big for where they are. I have lots of coneflower babies to plant there, and a very large ornamental grass as well. I am going to put some hens and chicks on the hillside, but really would like some leafy plants to grow along side the rocks of the waterfall.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Both your ponds look nice to me.......

In the winter it was iffy.. Now they dress well with green grass .. An a Bench to gauck. Are they behind your houses?

Now wasnt Jiffy doing one too?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Dodge.

Mine is behind just off to the side of the house - you can see it from the house and also from the driveway. I had to put it on that side of the house because I don't talk to the neighbors on the other side so I wouldn't have enjoyed it if I had to be closer to them, you know?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Good enough reason......LOL

Lots of those up here too......folks.

Nice job.

Keep going.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Anyone have suggestions for those plants?
I'd like to start getting them in soon - thanks!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
Lynne, I would try artemesia 'silver mound', nice shape and looks good all summer. When it gets too big and floppy, I cut it all back and it grows again for the fall. Nice texture and shape......

[Linked Image]

You could pop in some different sedums, they just spread nicely over the rocks without being too invasive. If they are getting where you don't want them you simply pull them out and stick them in the ground where you do want them. This isn't a great pic but behind the salvia is what I am talking about, spilling over the rocks. It is pretty all the time, and flowers briefly in early summer a pretty yellow star shaped flower.

[Linked Image]

I also have a reddish one, 'dragons blood' that has similar qualities. I'll get a pic of that tomorrow.........

How about some lavender??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
Dianthus?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
Not so much color for this part of the gardens - the hilly part, but interesting leaves - not too tall either - spreading would be great!

The rest of the flat areas around the ponds sides will have lots of orange - to compliment the fish! - and many of my perennials that I need to move because they've gotten too big for where they are. I have lots of coneflower babies to plant there, and a very large ornamental grass as well. I am going to put some hens and chicks on the hillside, but really would like some leafy plants to grow along side the rocks of the waterfall.

so I just read the part where youy want leafy green--so just look at the Artemisia-- or perhaps Alternanthera--"red Threads"

don't choose the silver mounds--they are pretty in the spring but unless one is supposed to keep them trimmed short---they simply fall apart & look bad later in the summer after they get so tall. while they are short 'mounds' they are very pretty though.

Catananche Caerulea Major (Love Plant) meduim in size--16 inches high---blue flower--duh-- Blooms late june to august--everlasting flowers divide in spring.full sun

Baptisia: Purple smoke--false indigo : Tall 3 -4 feet--planrt 3-4 ft apart dusky purple lupine-like flowers over grey-green unique foliage.--it will take a few years to come to full size--but it it really pretty

Greenery

Artemisia : Valerie Finnis--bright silver form--medium in size--2 ft high--does is possible for it to have some yellow flowers.---full sun

A. Silver brocade: short 6 inches high--wide 1" felty silver foliage with a hint of green coloring--Upright open form--- sun
Sisyrinchium Angustifolium--(blue-eyed grass) 16 inches high--blue green narrowe leaves appear to be a grass--but is not a true grass. has clusters of blue flowers with yellow eyes--needs to be in a group for best effect.--blooms late spring.--sun

One more: Euphoria: Chameleon 12-18 inches high--deep maroon foliage. yelllow flowers with outer brackets turning green--the more sun the deeper the foliage color

Last edited by JunieGirl; May 1st, 2008 at 11:14 AM.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the artemisia would do what you're looking for...it's supposed to be hardy in zone 6, too. i don't think it is, though. i got some of that last year and it's not shown up and i don't think it will - grew really well last summer do not see a bit of it now.

i got something else last year, too, and that's growing nicely now...pretty darkish green leaves and has white blooms going now. i think it reblooms, too. i have the name of it at home and will post later.

coneflowers will rebloom if you dead-head, so they'll work for the spot. you could do shasta daisy too. and sedum is always good - looks good through the summer and blooms in fall. mums and asters, too.

you could also mix in some strawflowers. they're annuals...worth the fuss though as it's a really pretty plant and will flower continuously.

Zone 6b
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks for all the terrific suggestions everyone!

I happen to agree with Carol about the silver mound, Mel - sorry!
I do have some up by the mailbox and it has never looked good after it first comes back out in spring. It takes up a lot of space and is bare and ugly in most of the center of it - maybe it looks better where you are a bit cooler up in Maine?

I'm going to look into all the other suggestions.

I don't want coneflowers on the slope - I have many for down below along side the pond - mine grow to about 4 feet tall now!

What I really want is a mid-size leafy plant for right next to the rocks.
I do have sedum in there from last year - the one that flowers yellow like Mel suggested, and I have lots of the dragonsblood to transplant over there too.

I guess what I'd like is something that looks fern-like, but I can't grow ferns there in the full blazing all day sun. It's a tough one, because most plants with leaves like that need shade.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Ok - just looked at a few of the ones that Carol suggested - the silvery ones won't be good there because they won't provide any contrast to the clay soil and water - but thanks for the suggestions.

I LOVE the Sisyrinchium Angustifolium--(blue-eyed grass)- not necessarily for the spot I was talking about because I think it might be too small, but I really like the attributes and the fact that it's benefits are:

Important nectar source for pollinators

Provides good cover for small wildlife

Cardinals, song sparrows, house finches and other songbirds eat the seed.

Bright blue flowers with gold centers are good cut flowers

Deer resistant plant that thrives in full sun

All of them are bonuses - especially the deer resistant one! thumbup

Now I just need to find some!

Still looking at the others...

You know what? I'm pretty sure I bought seeds for that plant 2 years ago, but it really didn't germinate well and I only got 2 tiny plants and neither returned. Hmmmm - guess I need to find plants that are already established!

Last edited by plants 'n pots; May 1st, 2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: remembered something

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I have a blue eyed grass Lynne, I bought it last year at Lowe's if you have one of them around you might want to check there.....

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Loz! There is one on the other side of the county, and they are building one about 15 minutes away too but that one won't be done for a long time - they just broke ground there.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
It might be too early yet for there to be a good selection of things so far....but it's worth checking if you are over that way. I have this habit of picking up things I haven't seen before, then when I bring it home I have to squeeze it in...... lol I think I need another big flowerbed. grin

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
.... lol I think I need another big flowerbed. grin

Loz, I think there is a lot of that going around--- bow thumbup

________

WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
Okay, I know you don't think the silver mound can look good , but I'm telling you it's as hot here in the summer as you get. It's just that as soon as it starts looking bad, I cut it right down to about an inch from the ground. It comes right back and looks great right up until first frost. It takes about 5 minutes to cut it, low maintenance in my book. If you don't want it there, at least try this trick on the ones you have by the mailbox, K? That picture of mine was taken in September, not spring! Sorry about the nasty looking hosta in that picture though, bad slugs and also it is in full sun and probably shouldn't be. I should move it, LOL.

About the blue-eyed grass, I have TONS of it. I love it , but of course the blooms don't last long enough for me. They open in the day and close at night too. So cloudy days are a bust for them. It spreads by seed quite a bit, but where the clumps are so small I don't mind it one bit. And it's easy to move them around where I want them. Maybe I could send you some Lynne. I've never sent plants before, I wonder?????

[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks for that info Mel - I will definitely try cutting back the one I have by the mailbox!

I appreciate your offer to send some blue eyed grass - let's see if I can find some here first, k?

So I've been searching a website that Carol sent me for perennials and I was wondering if anyone grows Gaillardia? Specifically the Fanfare one? I just LOVE the shape of the petals, and the colors are perfect for the oranges I'd like to accent the colors of my fish! There's also an Arizona Sun one that I liked there. Problem is that I'd have to order them as I'm sure I'll never find those specific ones around here, and the prices are not cheap!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
idea

I hhave a pkt of Dazzler Blanket flower Indian Blanket Gaillardia .if you would want some of that?

I didnt plant any to know what I have . perennial.

LMK

barb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks so much, Dodge - very sweet of you to offer!
I think I'd rather go with established plants for now - I'm pretty impatient to get this pond and gardens up and running already!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
ok thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
good luck, Lynne--let me know how it goes--I will keep a look out myself.

I will say, that is a beautiful flower--with all of the best of attributes.

________

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
[Linked Image]...TODAY IS THE DAY!!!...[Linked Image]

Don put the last dose of algae fix in the pond yesterday and it is absolutely clear down to the bottom! We put a thermometer in the water and it was about 62 degrees, so it was time to test it out with some feeder fish that I've had for about 3 years now. They've grown to a nice size in a tank indoors. He also placed the 1/2 pot that he cut last year for shelter for the fish in the bottom, and that is just where they first went when they didn't know what was going on in this HUGE new home. They have been seen since I put them in, at 3p.m. today.

Here they are when I first put them in a bag to get aclimated to the water temperature outside.
[Linked Image]

And floating in the pond in the bag...
[Linked Image]

Coming out of the bag...
[Linked Image]

FREEEEEEEEEEEE at last!
[Linked Image]

Only thing is... about 1/2 hour later, Don found one of them in the skimmer pump basket! He was able to get it out safely, but now I'm afraid they will all end up in there. The white with orange head has been swimming awfully close to the opening - hopefully he's just exploring and won't get pulled in!!!

I tried feeding them, but they swam away whenever they saw me. I put the food in anyway - hopefully they'll get used to seeing me and associate it with food.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
So the big day arrived......heres hoping they love the pond and are ok......That was a clever demonstration.

Thanks for showing us.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Oooo, they're free-----swim into the ocean little fishies. lol

That's what I told mine...they were used to being in a 10 gallon tank, so any pond is probably like the ocean.

Lynne, could you put a piece of mesh over the skimmer opening? Just something to stop them from being pulled in there?

Guess what?

I ordered Algae Fix and it's shipped. I can't wait to get it going. So you can really see all the way down good all over the pond? I can't wait to get mine to clear up, I hope it works as well for me as it has for you.

Are you having a little seat out there so you can sit and feed them and watch them?

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Can't wait for you to get your fix, loz! lol

Really - it works wonders, but is not cheap!
Don used the entire large bottle and wants me to get more for weekly maintanence.

I am definitely putting seating out there - the arbor bench will be moved to one side of the garden and the blue adirondack chair, ottoman, and table that I bought last year but is still unassembled will go on the other side. Can't wait for all that to get done too. I have to map out the garden area for Don and then he will start digging it up for me - I can't with the large rocks we have here.

We cannot put any mesh by the skimmer - then it wouldn't be able to do it's job - getting rid of leaves, etc. that are in the pond!

Loz - what do you feed your fish, and how often?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
egad lol I never thought about that with the skimmer....Do you NEED to run it? I mean if it's sucking things in a lot could you nix it? growing up my friend had an Olympic sized in ground pool....there were always frogs in the skimmer.....

I ordered my algae fix from Petco and it was on sale and I had a 10 percent coupon for any order.....I also bought a thing you stick in the water and as it disolves it feeds you fish for 7-8 days....good to have in case we go away this summer. If the Algae fix works well it will be worth it to me! I hate not seeing my fish until they are almost at the top.

Ah...the seating out there will be SO nice. You'll find yourself out there a lot. It's so relaxing.

I wish now I would've fed my fish every other day.....I was so excited to sit and watch them feed I did it every day, still do....not more than they'll eat of course....but my goldfish are so big now and eat so much. I use Pellet food for them.....just the type you buy at Walmart....they used to only eat one at a time, now the big fish can eat 4-5 in one bite! shock

I also supplement my mosquito fish with some flake food crumbled really small....not too much though, and before too long I'll slack off as their natural food source appears more(mosquito larvae).

Whatever I throw in is always eaten within 10 minutes...if not I scoop it out with one of my nets. thumbup

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
We do need the skimmer on to take the grass cuttings that Don got in there when he mowed, and other things out of the water. I watched the fish before dinner tonight from upstairs in the house - the water is so nice and clear that I can see them from up there now. I watched them play follow the leader - the white with orange seems to always be the leader - they were all very close to the skimmer, but seem to know about it now - I hope so!

I bought some pellets that get soft in water at WalMart the other day - thought I'd get the koi used to it in the tank in this room, but they would have noooooo part of it! They would not eat them at all, and I had to give them the granular food. I'm hoping they switch over once they are in the pond too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Loved the Pictures,, and amazing shots you got there,, I am excited for you Lynne,, you have been anticipating the release of your fish in there for a long time,, I'm glad the day came and went successfully!! Yipeeeeeee,, that is awesome,, I can't wait to see how you design your garden around it,, clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I bet they will Lynne.....sometimes it takes a while for them to figure out a switch in food....I use the kind that get soft in water too. thumbup

Mark USED to get grass clippings in the pond.......until I firmly told him to mow with the blower pointing the other way. lol That used to drive me nuts.

It's so cool that you could see them upstairs......I'm hoping for that. Mine play follow the leader also. I have 7 in there now. 3 orange fancy tailed(big, medium, and small sized), 3 Shubunkins, and a White feeder fish....it's the only survivor of the 10 ten cent fish I originally bought for the old pond. I named it Mark. Mark asked me one day why I named that fish after him....I said, WELL...........it's just like you...all it does is eat and poop a lot. lol It's the most skittish of all of them too.

Oh hey, BTW....interesting thing....I had a leaf come up today on my new water lily....the old one though? Nothing!!! And it was supposed to be hardy, and it was submerged in the 3 foot end. boohoo

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I DON'T SEE ANY FISH IN THE POND TODAY!!! tears

I hope they are just hiding in the small area of the pot that I cannot see into, but I've been looking for 2 hours now and don't see a single one! I even went out and looked in the skimmer - they are not in there!

I HOPE an animal didn't find them already on their first night out there! boohoo shock

If I don't see them by this afternoon, I'm going to turn over the pot and take a look... if they don't come out then I have to assume that an animal got them. And to think that I was hoping to get another baby koi at PetSmart today, as they are on sale this week. why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image