Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#121985 Sep 1st, 2007 at 08:07 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Okay, I may KNOW about a lot of plants and flowers but I've never been a huge seed saver. Cosmos are my fav, but usually I'd just buy more each year(seeds).

This year I grew some awesome double cosmos and I want to be able to save the seeds. How do I collect seeds from them?

Is there a seed pod on the plant? Or are the seeds in the head of the flower? Really don't laugh at me because I don't know.... lol I really don't. All I know is I want to save seeds from them so bad.

Any directions would be appreciated. I've never seen a prettier flower than the double cosmos....I just love them.

#122000 Sep 1st, 2007 at 08:18 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
[quote]Zinnias, cosmos, bachelor's buttons and any flower forming a visible seed head: These flowers make seed saving easy and fun. Beautiful flowers begin to fade after pollination. Many gardeners "dead head" or snap off the flower head to encourage the plant to continue blooming. To save seeds, do not dead head your flowers but allow them to go to seed.

Once the petals and the flower heads have dried on the stalk, harvest them in a paper bag. The seeds can be removed by rubbing gently the seed heads between the fingers or hands. The excess plant material can be winnowed, screened or manually separated, leaving only the seeds. [quote]

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #122052 Sep 1st, 2007 at 09:59 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
kissie I'm intent on saving these double cosmos one way or another. lol Thanks Wrennie.

#122451 Sep 1st, 2007 at 10:45 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
wow! loz i thought you did collect seeds shock

i dont have the double but i have other cosmos n they all look the same seed wise,
when the flower dies, it will get all brown [like a woody look] n theres your seeds, heres a pic realy its a seedpack pic,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
sibyl #123260 Sep 3rd, 2007 at 06:41 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
loz hope y dont mind i took pics to show y the seeds, cuse my brightlight cosmos seeds always open up like this
[Linked Image]

and my sensation n seashells tend to stay kinda clumped uplike this
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

either way when their brown n woody lookin there ready to be harvested
good luck with your double cosmos! flwr

[Linked Image]
sibyl #123510 Sep 4th, 2007 at 09:13 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Good luck Laura! I've always had good luck with my own saved cosmos seeds. I still have the dbl seeds that you sent me earlier this year, thank god i didnt sow them in the fall at the old place

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #128796 Sep 13th, 2007 at 04:13 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
lol I do save some seeds....just never Cosmos and I would've hated to save stuff that wasn't even the seed. lol

I must admit though I'm not a HUGE seed saver....I either get them from the store or from trades! thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image