Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#121214 Aug 30th, 2007 at 02:50 PM
OP Offline
I was driving home today and took a different root than I usually do. And all of a sudden these beautiful pink flowers caught my eye. I had seen them before. It didn't take me long to remember that I had wanted this plant a while ago and did not find it. So I turned around, stopped the car and went and rang the doorbell of the owner of the garden. She had an expression on her face which was between annoyed and surprised (I guess she wasn't expecting anyone grin). Then I said "This might sound like a strange request." She just stared at me. And then I continued, "What do you do with you flowers after they have finished blooming? Do you save seeds?" Then she stepped out from the house and asked mw, "Why?" and then I asked her if I could take some from her garden and she said of course. We ended talking like for half an hour, and now I hate that I am moving because she was even offering me some of them in ths springtime when she goes about dividing her garden. nooo

So my question is, depending on how things go and the sale of my house, when will it be safe for me to get seeds. Do I have to wait until they r completely done blooming? Because it really doesn't look like that will happen any time soon.

Nuria
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
In order to collect seeds, you'll have to find one that has finished blooming and has set seed. All you need is one old bloom, so you may not to wait too long.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
What color are razzmataz? I only ask cause some people call the purple ones pink.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
Thanks Alan, I will wait as long as I can. Since you have a little more experience with coneflowers, how many do u think might look like the parent? Not that it matters because I love all coneflowers anyway, but everyone always says that they will not come true, but shouldn't it be they "might" not come true?

Wrennie
Here's a link to a pic on a website. This one seems brighter but it might be the photography. Now if they are considered purple, they really don't look like it. I guess the purple coneflower is also not exactly purple, but it is definately darker than these, or at least the ones I saw yesterday.

Razzmatazz

Last edited by cancolgirl; Aug 31st, 2007 at 07:30 AM.

Nuria
2k Posts
2k Posts
They open darker and they fade

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
If there are other coneflowers nearby there could be cross-pollination, and you may or may not get a true plant. I would try to get seeds from as many different blooms as possible and hope that you'll get a true razzmatazz when you sow them. They are quite easy to grow from seed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
WOW that is a beautiful flower!!!!!!!! clap I wannnnnnnnnt!!!!! boohoo

Nuria ~~I hope for blooming success from the seeds for you! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Oh its the 'fuzzy' one! cool.

OP Offline
Angelblossom, depending on how many seeds, from dif flowers I get, I will be adding them to my seed exchg list for the next Fall Fling exchange. The good part is there was no other Coneflower nearby so hopefully more than a few will come true. If you are going to join u may want to put it on your Wishlist or we could do an exchange?

Nuria

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image