Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#121238 Aug 30th, 2007 at 04:01 PM
OP Offline
Double ARGH!! I watered the plants next to my house by setting up the sprinkler and letting it run. The next day, I noticed my light grey siding is ORANGE from rust. We have our house for sale, and it really looks unsightly.

What can I use to remove the rust from my vinyl siding that isn't going to kill my plants?!?! My realtor says it's got to go NOW!

HELP!

Thanks much,
Sandy

Sandy R.
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
if the siding is aluminum, you'll need to sand and paint it. if it's vinyl, then you can wash it - any basic soap will do. if you can wash it (rather than have to paint it), i'd suggest using cloths/rags to soap up as well as rinse as that will keep too much of the soap from landing on the plants.

if you need to paint it, you can take a piece of it with you to the store (at least 1 inch square) and they can match the color for you.

Zone 6b
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you can also spray it with lemon juice to get the rust off.

#121488 Aug 31st, 2007 at 05:34 AM
OP Offline
The siding is vinyl. I just don't want to kill the plants there.

[Linked Image]

Sandy R.
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
i would try dish soap or simple green
I used Krud cutter on my last house (not for rust) it didnt affect the rhododendron it rained down on, or the grass when i used it on my garage & picnic table here. It screws onto a hose. I got it in the paint dept at walmart.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
dish soap with a little baking soda in it. or lemon juice. spray bottle and soft brush, and lots of water to rinse with. good luck!

#121634 Aug 31st, 2007 at 11:01 AM
OP Offline
OK - thanks. When are you guys coming?! Do you see the size of that wall!!!!

Sandy R.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
lol home depot has a broom/brush on a handle that will make it easier for you thumbup i paid about $6 for mine.

#121944 Aug 31st, 2007 at 10:55 PM
Water the soil well before cleaning the wall.If you have a hose end sprayer that has never been used for weed killer use that to spray your solution. Add a cup of your cleaner and fill the remainder of the sprayer with water. Add an old golf ball to keep the solution mixed. Buy shower curtains at the dollar store and cover your plants that face the wall. Remove the shower curtains ASAP. Wash down the plants well with a jet of water after the wall has its final rinse.

What caused the rust stain? The sprinkler or your water source? Or did the rust come from the plants? If the rust is in your water then you wouldn't want to use the hose end sprayer.

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
from the Vinyl Siding Institute (VSI):

Cleaning Vinyl Siding

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image