Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#120833 Aug 30th, 2007 at 01:31 AM
OP Offline
Hello everyone

I read today of an article in the New Scientist magazine about research carried out by South Korean scientists, who played music to rice plants and concluded that these plants have scientific genes that can ‘hear’. They’re trying to establish if its possible to identify DNA code that can translate instructions for biological processes such as growth and found that specific frequencies (125Hz and 250Hz) made certain genes more active. The music included works by Beethoven (or should that be ‘Sugarbeethoven?).

So bear in mind next time you are cussing and shouting in proximity to your beloved flowers – it’s not just corn that has ears!

starfish #120949 Aug 30th, 2007 at 09:27 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
lol i've read articles that show that even plants that are cussed at do better than plants that grow in total silence. which makes sense because nature is anything but silent.

i know my plants like some sound.

#121804 Aug 31st, 2007 at 05:44 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Well I'm glad it has been scientifically noted! notme Because I talk to mine all the time! lol nooo thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #121844 Aug 31st, 2007 at 07:29 PM
Same here! I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts! And I can't go by a plant without touching it. Stroking the leaves of my plumeria, carressing the fronds of ferns, petting the pentas (I like the feel of the flower cluster in my palm!)...sounds weird, but I'm a very tactile person, I like to find out what things feel like. That's normal, right? And there's always an eclectic selection of music in the garden. I need to give my pentas a little more attention; there are a couple of stumpy ones that need to get bigger! I AM talking about plants, guys.

Julianne
Julianne #122049 Sep 1st, 2007 at 09:56 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Juilanne You are tooooooo funny!! lol I love it!! lol lol

I'm too like to touch,, I can't wear Gardenggloves at all I have to feel what I'm doing !!!! ANd Yep about nature's Music in the gardens, Can you imagine what butterfly wings fluttering might sound like intensified?? I think it would sound awesome! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image