Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
We've had our bird of paradise for more than a year now and when we first got her she was extremely healthy. We repotted her a few months ago and lately, one of the 2 stalks seem to be dying. All the leaves on that stalk is turning yellow-brown and drooping. It gets sunlight everyday (but not direct). Even one of the new stems on that stalk that looked like it was going to open grew brown. We feed it every two weeks and give it plant food. Please - if you know what's wrong with her, please let us know. I'll be happy to email you pictures of her.

Last edited by greenlady; Aug 28th, 2007 at 03:55 PM.
1k Posts
1k Posts
BoP is very tough-she will probably come back.
I'd slow down on the food and give her direct sunlight.
Cut off the yellowing leaves and move the pot into sun.
You don't give your zone, it would help to know.

OP Offline
We're in New York in an apt with great sunlight. We were told that these plants should have receive direct sunlight.

Are we overwatering her? Is that what causes the leaves to turn yellow brown? I've included pictures of her below.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4095/5/32/15/48/47/3/347481532503_0_ALB.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4095/5/32/15/48/47/5/547481532503_0_ALB.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4095/5/32/15/48/47/7/747481532503_0_ALB.jpg

1k Posts
1k Posts
Very probably overwatering-thse are tough, tough, tough outdoor plants and can thrive on little attention. (At least out here).
Even so, I think it's way too much food and water. I have never heard of keeping a BoP indoors.
Your photo gallery says that the area is forbidden to my server-not sure why.

OP Offline
Thanks Deborah. Can I email these pictures to you? I'm really worried about her and I can't seem to find a houseplant expert who would do home visits. Our first one died and I can't deal with this one dying.

1k Posts
1k Posts
often when changing to a larger pot, folks go too large.

the plant becomes accostomed to a certain micro-climate.

the new pot is often much larger, which means much more soil and much more water to wet that soil. the large amount of soil takes longer to dry out and the plant becomes too wet.

also, it is important to make sure the plant is not buried too deep, which can cut off oxygen to the stem base.

also, do not plant too deeply into the pot. if the soil surface is more than 2 inches below the rim of the pot, it takes the soil even longer to dry and promotes moisture problems.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

1k Posts
1k Posts
Good points, Rugby.
Green, pictures won't help-I'm only guessing here. I do think that it sounds like much too much plant food for such a tough plant.
If it were mine, I'd put it on a balcony and ease up on food and water.
Since you're in New York, of course it will have to come in this fall. But with the best sunlight and of course a grow light, I still think BoP would be OK. They're such toughies.
I hope an expert comes along here and has more help for you. Have you Googled?
Or asked a certified nurseryman at your garden center?

Hello greenlady...

I'm sorry about your plant. I'm praying for you and for it. I looked up some info and this is what I found. Hope this helps

The Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) do best with at least four hours of direct sunlight a day, but should have bright light all day, with day temperatures of 68-72° and night temperatures of 50° to 55°. Generally they are hardy to about 20°. They flower more readily when they are somewhat rootbound, which is why they are more often grown in large pots or tubs. It should be potted in a mixture of sterile potting soil, peat moss, and sand with a liberal amount of bone meal added. Excellent drainage is essential. Keep the soil evenly moist except from November-February when the plant should be kept on the dry side. Feed every two weeks from March through September with a balanced (10-10-10) fertilizer. Plants are propagated by divisions and seed, neither of which is difficult. Divisions may take two years to reach blooming size, when grown from seed it will take from seven to ten years before you see your first flower.

Tana aka khorysmom

OP Offline
Thank you all for responding. I'll try your suggestions and see if that helps. I hope she's ok!

1k Posts
1k Posts
Keep us posted ! Good luck !

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image