Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#120216 Aug 28th, 2007 at 10:33 PM
user Offline OP
OP Offline
my chinese evergreen is infested by mealybug, my mom ask me to use this

[Linked Image]

systemic pesticide to get ride of them. she only tell me a friend gave it to her some time back and dont know the name of this pesticide.

i am worry to use it because i am not sure what is the active content and is it effective, is it save to be used indoor.

some one please help.

thanks in advance

user #120223 Aug 29th, 2007 at 01:08 AM
Hi

I don't recognise this and would be cautious about using a product that you know nothing about - the risk is it could do your plant (and you!) more harm than good. Why not just buy a cheap and freely available ready-to-use spray containing a systemic insecticide that is proven to work on these bugs e.g., thiacloprid, which in the UK is available as Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Ready To Use.

The female mealys dont move around much, so your infestation is probably because they came in on an already infested plant, so have a look at any new plants that you've got. Also make sure you destroy the dead leaves etc as they may have bug eggs on them.

user Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks starfish,

did try this spray but not working,

[Linked Image]

this is the only available spray sold in Carrfour market,

i have remove all the mealy bug that are visible, but from time to time i still can see one or two hiding within young leaves,

this plan is just next to my bed, is there ways to remove all bugs without using any poisonous insectiside?

user #120228 Aug 29th, 2007 at 04:01 AM
Well, in the UK there are some insects that are enemies of the bug and are commercially available - parasitic wasps and predatory beetles ... but I dont suppose you would want them buzzing around your bedroom!

So I suggest that, if you dont want to use insecticide, remove them by hand and/or cut off infested stems. You could also try washing them off by directing a strong jet of water at them (but make sure you dont damage the plant). Finally, maybe you could try wiping them away with a half and half mix of water and methylated spirits.

Make sure you burn or throw away all of the leaves that have dropped off as they will be some hiding in there.

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Add this info to what Starfish already posted...use physical control...that means squishing the bugs with your fingers. Then apply cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol [70% isopropryl alcohol] dabbing each insect. If you can't find systemic granules to apply to the soil; you can use Neem oil as either systemic or spray. To make a solution of Neem spray, mix one teaspoon of Neem oil in one quart of warm water, then add 1/4 teaspoon of dishwashing soap [non-antibacterrial]. Cool and transfer the solution to an empty spray bottle. Shake well before using. For systemic application, follow manufacturer's instructions on the label. Neem is biodegradable and non-toxic. Repeat application until bugs are eliminated.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi user...!

glad to see another malaysian on d forum....welcome!! ... whereabouts in malaysia r u...?

m from kl but stay in besut, terengganu now....

i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
user Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by papito
If you can't find systemic granules to apply to the soil; you can use Neem oil as either systemic or spray.

i have a systemic granules but do not know is it safe to be use indoor, i have used it anyway and found 1 bug dead today, below is the pic of the granules and the bug (1.2mm size), is it male mealy bug? please help identify the granules if possible.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

what is neem oil, dont know what it is called in malaysia, nmlAlba-dC15 do you know what is need oil, in bahasa malaysia?

can i subsitude it with cooking oil or olive oil

user Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by nmlAlba-dC15
Hi user...!

glad to see another malaysian on d forum....welcome!! ... whereabouts in malaysia r u...?

m from kl but stay in besut, terengganu now....

i am in Perai, Penang. - (seberang jaya, if you know the place)

user #120383 Aug 29th, 2007 at 08:57 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
nope...neem oil is extracted from neem tree... well we do have neem trees in malaysia but i dont think we have enough to support d industry of producing/extracting d oil... neem oil is a safe pesticide, miticide n fungicide all in one... well thatz wat itz manufacturers claim ...supported by a lot of research too i understand.... locally d tree is known s margosa or semambu.... botanic/scientific name Azadirachta indica i think....

...emm where r u from in malaysia....?

500 Posts
500 Posts
woops forgot to add...itz sure NOT EASY to get in malaysia... i tried it before...finally bought it from Australia.... but havent used much of it actually...been raining such a lot here...

...sure know Penang...did my degree in USM ... think i know whereabouts Seberang Jaya is..but not v familiar tho....!

Well...m glad to have a malaysian on d forum... a GREAT forum of friendly people this is...LOVE being here....!!

Goodnite...c u some other time!

500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi user...

dunno y it escaped my notice before...may b i was distracted by d fact u r a malaysian...but is d pesticide your mother gave u called Furadan...? BTW it looked black to me before..but today i noticed it is purple...n looks sooo very much like Furadan...

Here's some info abt Furadan...
http://www.3dchem.com/moremolecules.asp?ID=263&othername=Furadan

Hope this helps...have a nice day....!

user Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks nmlAlba-dC15, Furadan is right, my mother did mumble similar tone when i ask her what is the name for it,

search the net and found it is very poisonous, i will handle with extra care.

and is Neem tree the one our Indian friend in Malaysia like to grow infront of their house. today i saw some tree with white flower look very similar to the pic in wikipedia.

happy "Merdeka day" to all Malaysian friend in the forum tomorrow.

Last edited by user; Aug 30th, 2007 at 01:38 AM.
500 Posts
500 Posts
Yep...think u r right.... lotz of indians like to plant this tree.... well, think itz from india.... or may b they have other reasons too... a friend of mine has a small one in a pot... she said she puts it in her kitchen where she had some fly problems... she said no more flies now.... she said it deters flies...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image