Print Thread
Rate Thread
#118666 Aug 26th, 2007 at 09:34 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
This is the first time/summer we've ever seen bees of this kind, and they are HUGE!!! The first time, I saw numerous ones at a local office building just loving the very large floral pots they have. But yesterday, for the very first time, we had one in our backyard on the hill by the pond waterfall. He was digging in the dirt when I took the picture.

Since Don and I have both gotten stung already this summer, we need to know what we are dealing with here!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #118776 Aug 26th, 2007 at 01:26 PM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #118904 Aug 26th, 2007 at 07:48 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks for those links, Wrennie!

I actually found it while doing a google image search on wasps -
it is called a Cicada Killer Wasp, or Cicada Hawk!!!

Now that's a wasp that I can appreciate. It's odd that I've been seeing them around here for the very first time this summer. I've never ever seen them before - they are big enough and different looking enough to notice!!!

Here's a great link to information all about them:
cicada killer wasps

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #118975 Aug 27th, 2007 at 05:41 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
clap
good to know what it is

#119103 Aug 27th, 2007 at 07:54 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Penny... right?!?!?!? shock

The thing I find most interesting is that...
There may be many individuals flying over a lawn, but each female digs her own burrow six to ten inches deep and one-half inch wide. (They do not nest together.) The soil is dislodged by her mouth and loose particles are kicked back as a dog would dig. The excess soil thrown out of the burrow forms a U-shaped mound at the entrance, causing unsightly mounds of earth on the turf. This ground-burrowing wasp may be found in sandy soils to loose clay in bare or grass covered banks, berms, hills as well as raised sidewalks, driveways and patio slabs. Some may nest in planters, window boxes, flower beds, under shrubs, ground cover, etc. Nests usually are made in the full sun where vegetation is sparse, especially in well-drained soils. Occasionally they establish in golf course sand traps. (A very gravelly or bare area is preferred.)

And that is exactly where I photographed it - on the very sunny, dry, gravelly, and BARE hillside of the waterfall!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #119302 Aug 27th, 2007 at 11:09 AM
hi plants n pots. We have cicada killers all over around here. They only sting right after they have their babies. They are harmless. However, they will tear up your yard. My mom has cicada killer burroughs everywhere. I'll find out what she uses to kill them, b/c that's what you need to do. I don't want your yard getting yucky. If you see them killing a cicada, kill it b/c when they are killing the cicada is when they are laying their eggs. I just found my first 2 cicada killer mounds the other day. I'm trying to kill them before they tear up my yard like my moms. If you have any questions, let me know. I've been dealing with them for a long time at mom's house.

khorysmom

khorysmom #119335 Aug 27th, 2007 at 11:59 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks so much for all that valuable information khorysmom! (do you have your own name? why thumbup)

I really had no clue about them whatsoever, and was startled the first time we saw many of them at the office building - they are soooooo huge! And then to see this one here the other day - I haven't seen more, but then I haven't been out in this heat too much since then either.

I look forward to reading what your mom does about her problem when you get a chance to post it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #120012 Aug 28th, 2007 at 01:31 PM
You are very welcome Lynne. Yes my own name is Tana. I'm so used to being called Khory's mom, that it just sticks I guess.

I am so sorry Lynne. I was just at mom's last night and forgot to ask her what it is that she uses on her cicada killers. I will call her tonight and ask. I will let you know.

You won't see them either when it's super hot. They are out more when you're out more. Like I said they only sting when right after having their babies. They have their babies in the ground. Kill them when you see them. Serious.

Talk to you soon.

Take care.

khorysmom aka Tana

khorysmom #120051 Aug 28th, 2007 at 03:08 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks again, Tana - nice to meet you!

My husband left some wasp and hornet spray out for me in the garage in case I need it, but it's just been too hot for me to do anything outside this week. And the funny thing is... that the only time I've seen a cicada killer on our property was last Saturday when it was so very hot and humid here!!!

Hopefully I won't see any more - he also said that he filled the hole back in that it apparently dug out after I had gone inside for the day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image