Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#118335 Aug 25th, 2007 at 01:40 PM
Laura29 Offline OP
OP Offline
I live near Sacramento, CA and every summer I am plagued by these terrible green caterpillars (I think they are cabbage moths?). They eat almost anything but especially love my petunias. They persist all summer. I have tried a number of treatments and nothing has worked (chemical and beneficial insects). If anyone has any tips, advice, or solutions I would be grateful! I am including pictures of the little varmints to clarify. Thanks, Laura

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Laura wavy

We've had a problem with the white catapillers here (TX) this spring and summer.. I use a quick remedy ...
a couple of tablespoons of LemonJoy dish soap and a couple tablespoons of Hot sauce( I use Louisianna Red Brand) in a spray bottle( 1 qrt). and spray everything thing down. But I have been making it in a gallon milk jug and put the srayer nossle in the jug ( Sure saves time refilling the spray bottle) The soap makes the hotsauce stick to the plant and the catapillers won't crawl on the plant they go away BUT eventually do come back,, I don't use chemicals and I don't know anything else to use ,, This was recommeneded to me and it works so I pass it forward! Fortunatly the catapillers haven't gotten on my MG's or patunia's, but they sure had a field day on everything else :mad: They went away for about a month but I noticed them again last weekend sooooooo Out comes the lemon joy and hot sauce again! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
I have had a similar problem with my Petunias and also Geraniums and now have started using Green Light Lawn and Garden Spray with "Spinosad". They are showing improvement and I am hoping I have found a solution to these worms eating my flowers. Good Luck.

It is all about enjoying life and trying to stay hydrated in Las Vegas and the Great Southwest
Laura,

If you go to a home depot or a lowes or an agway farming store if you have one near by they have an organic product made by bonide called BT ( bacillus thurigiensis) thuricide. If you spray this from a hose adapter like for miricale grow on your yard this kills any larvae and gets rid of most of your bug issues. The best part is you only have to do it once every few years cause the solution stays in the soil. Hope this helps.

Stottlar1
"Live free or Die"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image