Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#116550 Aug 22nd, 2007 at 08:18 PM
OP Offline
A friend and I got a couple of these plants given to us. We were told they were a "Firecracker" but when I looked it up these definately don't look like the ones on the net. I am trying to find out what they are so I can plant them in a suitable location. They are in the full sun now, they did bloom but they are very sad looking, droopy so I didn't know if it is the drought or whether they should have partial shade. Can anyone help me?? The picture was taken while they were in bloom before the drought really kicked in.

[Linked Image]

Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
Actually, they were part correct...it's Lysimachia "Firecracker'. They prefer a moist spot in the garden, and can spread quite a bit.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanks Alan!! do you also know whether they will tolerate being in a shady garden or should I just keep them in the sun?

#117006 Aug 23rd, 2007 at 11:48 AM
OP Offline
Hey Penny -
Yeah, This is the second year for them. I was worried that they were not going to survive because they did not bloom last year. With the serious water shortage this year I do hope the seeds developed.

Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
They prefer partial shade...the more sun they get the more water they need. I planted one several years ago in a dry spot of my garden thinking that would control the spreading. It ended up spreading anyway, but rarely flowered from lack of water. It ended up in the compost pile because I didn't have a moist spot for it at the time. Now I wish I had it back because now I have the perfect spot for it. Oh well. Good luck with yours!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
I did collect some seeds from it this year. I'm not sure how it works on here for sending them though.

I just saw that plant yesterday at the Butterfly World (Vancouver Island).
It was beautifull and I did a double take!(and bent down to see the flowers better). It was in a very shady spot and doing well there. That's funny it is on here today because I was wishing I had brought my camera to find out what it was!(so I thank you).

JustforMaellin I know I wouldn't mind getting some if there is something I can tempt you with that I have. (Memo me: make list of seeds available) You might also want to wait for the Fall seed Swap as well and I'll just put that on my wishlist. grin

Nuria
OP Offline
The Fall seed Swap? Forgive me but I am still very much a newbie here, what is the Fall seed Swap and how does it work?

This should explain it. It's a link to the old site but it has the info on it.
Spring Fling Seed Exchange

Nuria
OP Offline
Ok so I just have to watch for the ad for it, or is it already going on? OH, wait a minute, US/Canada postage is different. I cannot send stamps from here to be used to mail back to me from the US. Hmmm. have to look into that little glitch.

Since there aren't too many of us up north, they'll usually try to figure something out. So don't worry, we'll come up with some scheme.

Nuria

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image