Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#118255 Aug 25th, 2007 at 09:32 AM
KAT2007 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, Kat 2007 here ....
I'm not sure if this is a first post, but.... I have multiple joint disease (osteoarthritis) and multifocal muscle pain (fibromyalgia). Cold, damp weather hurts like a bee sting (and lasts a lot longer), but even though my muscles throb and joints feel like electricity, I keep moving because inactivity is a killer (the opposite of how weeds THRIVE). Gardening does two things for me: definitely provides stretching workout; and, if something grows, I feel validated.
Gardening is peaceful~even though I chatter away at the ground prayers~and, just like when I had my first child 32 yrs ago, I see miracles all the time! Kat thumbup

#118402 Aug 25th, 2007 at 04:47 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi Kat! Thanks for posting here!

On the old site (which is now archived) we had many helpful posts for gardening with disabilities. I keep meaning to ask Mr. Bill if there is a way for him to move some of that helpful info over here, but jeepers, I get distracted!

Anyway, let me assure you that there are many gardeners on this site who garden with all manner of disabilities, and most of them report the same benefits you did to it all. It helps the body and it helps the soul. Good stuff all the way around!

Might I ask if your osteoarthritis has led you into exploring the use of alternate, adaptive equipment or techniques in the garden? And if so, can you share what you've tried and how successful it all was or wasn't? Otherwise, if you haven't, but are interested in the topic, we can chat about it here, too.

I'm glad you posted here.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #118598 Aug 26th, 2007 at 05:47 AM
KAT2007 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, Merme ...
Glad I posted, too (now). Wasn't sure if this was active forum or not.
To answer your Q:...No, I was not aware of any equipment for us; however, necessity is the Mother of Invention, right? teach As I was telling my vegetable angels angel, I am getting a rototiller in the spring. Right now I am short on cash and awaiting disability confirmation (probably denial is more like it boohoo). Soooo....I sat on my bum, and on my knees sometimes shock, and began hacking away at weeds and roots and turning soil with a long-handled claw, throwing rocks into the next yard (unoccupied property), all the while "Gus," the stray kitty who adopted us, was dodging weed plugs and hunks of roots...it was hysterical! Sometimes ya just gotta laugh and have fun! clap I had my portable phone receiver beside me, and I got dirt all over it. I'd push a number and get a row of another. Disabled people need to communicate and I was very upset. I went back to Radio Shack with the whole phone (base and all). The store manager plugged it in while my housemate, Trish, and I chatted and enjoyed the AC (It was 100 here yesterday). All of a sudden, he handed me the receiver and told me to punch in the store # and it rang. He nicely said, "Clean the contacts with a pencil eraser once a month, and, Ma'am? Please remember to charge it every day." shock When we left, Trish said, "Good thing you didn't tell him you tried to compost it!" lol
I'm not formally religious, but very spiritual....From childhood, I remember the story of St Francis of Assisi (the one with the bird on his shoulder) and St. Theresa, the Little flower, and I offer up a thought about flora and fauna to let God know I appreciate what is free. Produce certainly isn't tears Anyway...
If anyone comes up with some concocted equipment, lemme know, 'cuzz everybody here knows that when I'm on the floor doing something, they'd better give me everything that needs doing up 3' high because it takes a growing season for me to get up again! touched Thanks for listening....
kat thumbup

KAT2007 #118643 Aug 26th, 2007 at 09:00 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Here are some links for you from The Garden Helpers archives on topics you might find interesting reading.

Adaptive Equipment

Printed Information Resources

Vertical Gardening

Plant Suggestions For Vertical Gardening

Those are a place to start anyway. There's more in archives as well.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #118645 Aug 26th, 2007 at 09:02 AM
KAT2007 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much, Merme! I hafta dig some stuff into the soil, but I'll get to those links as soon as the limbs give out!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image