Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#117876 Aug 24th, 2007 at 04:47 PM
OP Offline
Yet another issue in the garden. haha this year has been tough. Anyways I have 2 2 year old dwarf azaleas. They have done excellent so far but I just noticed one is turning orangish brown on the leaves. I figured this is too early for them to start turning cause they didnt turn last year until october. I jsut recently spray them with miracid. The other one still looks fine. Any ideas?

Stottlar1
"Live free or Die"
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Can you get a picture??

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
I actually went to get some supplies today and the nursery I went too I took a couple leaves and the lady said it was lace flies. So I am going to try to treat. She was very rude and told me that since my azaleas get 3-4 hours of sun in the afternoon and mostly shade through out the morning and mid day that they were stressed and I needed to move them. I have had them in the same spot for two years now and they have done great. Thanks for the response though.

Stottlar1
"Live free or Die"
Hi....I am a new member as of today
Saw your post and just thought I would mention that my Mock Orange is doing the same thing. Maybe someone will comment.
I have had not much luck in growing azaleas in Southern Nevada

It is all about enjoying life and trying to stay hydrated in Las Vegas and the Great Southwest
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Ok, not to look completely lost here but..... what the heck is a lace fly? Never heard of it cant find it in google. And if one bush has bugs the one sitting right next to it would too. Duh rude lady.

AND if she meant lacewing, double duh, because they are beneficial insects.

going to go google more

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Ok lace bugs, tingidae do damage foliage. Are the leaves spotted? Then that could be them. why
lace-winged flies, chrysopa are insect eaters.

OP Offline
Yeah the leaves have little white specs and are turning I guess they call it a bonze color I see orange to brown but it is due to lace bugs. I got some of the Bayer brand insect, disease control to put in a watering can and mix with water and put around base of azalea. This stuff works well and will kill any bugsthat eats from it. Thi works for trees and shrubs. See below on lace bugs.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2150.html

Stottlar1
"Live free or Die"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image