Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Odyssey Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi! we are in Queensland and are renting, the back fence is... well... simply chicken wire and we are in a area where we have no neighbours and a field behind us which means all our back garden is exposed to a main road and I'm really not comfy with that... so I'm looking for screening.

I was thinking about using a couple of pots some wire and a non invasive climber to do the trick. First I thought maybe passion fruit but they seem to turn into a weed that will over take the garden.... as we are renting I cant afford for this to happen. Also the other factor is we have dogs soo something non harmful.

In all honesty I'm looking for a lower maintenance climber with fruit is a bonus but as long as it has some nice flowers for a visual effect, something I can hook up and feed and water but don't have to worry about it taking over as my partner has a disability and I wont have much time to attend to it. I love the Clematis too... <--- will that work?

ok advice/ideas would be really appreciated, thankyou
:)

5k Posts
5k Posts
I love clematis. They are beautiful plants and come in a variety of colors. Some can be picky about pruning though. They have 3 catagories for pruning, one that needs the new wood pruned back, one that needs old wood pruned back, and one that you hack off to about 6 inches from the ground in February. I like that last group and have several that belong to it. Clematis likes to have their roots shaded, so you may want to mulch the roots or plant some shady groundcovers at the base of the plant.

Passionflower can be invasive, it's really pretty though! A few other options may be something like honeysuckle. They provide a great area for birds and hummingbirds to nest and also feed hummers. They can get huge though. Morning glories are nice, too. Mine are blooming like mad and have since June. They can be invasive if you don't pinch of dead blooms.

Here is a site that has a lot of climbers. I ordered from them and had a great experience. Maybe you could find some ideas there? Don't forget to take into account how much sun the area gets.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Just a thought...we also have an area we wanted to have less "exposure" only our fence was at least a chain link.

We bought a roll of 23' length of bamboo screening and tied it to the chain link with small bits of wire. It's a nice backdrop to our aviairy and block the view of the back yard mechanic next door.

You could put plants in front of it.

Julianne
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
they had some great suggestions, i don't know if it is my garden tending or what, but my clematis has taken 2 years to take off, so you might want to check on that if you want quick coverage!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
500 Posts
500 Posts
How about kiwi's? They'll cover a fence, are not invasive and bear fruit. The flowers are pretty without being overly showy http://www.cornhillnursery.com/retail/fruit/kiwiflowers.html and you'll need a male and a female or two to get fruit. There are probably better plants, but I'd be growing these on my fence if it didn't get so very cold here in the winters. http://www.hort.cornell.edu/extension/commercial/fruit/mfruit/kiwifruit.html

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hey, that first link is to a nursery just 4 hours drive from me. Haven't gotten there yet but heard it's a beautiful place.

How about annual climbers, seeds are cheap and you don't have to worry about invasiveness.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image