Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#114320 Aug 19th, 2007 at 07:26 PM
OP Offline
I had planned to use cement stain to color my cement leaf cast. Since the stain is $23 a gallon and I would need at least 5 colors I am looking for a less costly paint or stain method. Has anyone used a product I found called patio paint? It was recommended that the cement leaf cure for 30 days before applying color. Then apply a sealer over the color. I would like to do the leaf like the stained glass coleus plant I have. Two shades of green, creamy yellow and peach. The veining is burgandy. Any suggestions from members who have actually painted cured concrete/cement? Thanks.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I've painted cured cement with patio paint and it didn't stick. Supposedly you need to give it a special acid wash first.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
You can prime it wth Zinnser123 primer first. Then after painting, and after the leaf is completely dry/cured clesr coat the whole thing. Or else moisture will seep right through it and push the paint off. Unless you dont mind re-painting every year.

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
oh wait. Or if the leaf isnt done yet you can try a fresco approach. While its still quite wet make a thin wet tub of cement and mix some artists pigment in with it to actually color the cement and paint the colored cement on the base leaf.

Wrennie, that's a good idea.

Herbalyn, where did you get your idea from? I saved an article from, I think, Better Homes & Gardens. I'll look it up tomorrow and see if it gives any suggestions for staining concrete. But seriously, the fresco approach makes sense. You might want to score/etch your leaf first to make sure it holds the fresco. Just a thought, no experience.

Julianne
OP Offline
The directions for sand casting a birdbath from a large leaf came from Garden Gate Magazine. Oops! Just noticed a blurb on the directions that Garden Gates website has info for those interested in painting their sand casting.

Appreciate the suggestions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image