Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#48499 May 20th, 2007 at 12:02 PM
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
ZZ Plants, Sansevierias, Haworthias, Gasterias, Rhipsalis, Holiday Cacti, Kalanchoes....

Are there any other plants that can do well in less than full sun? I can give lots of bright light. I have the plants listed above and they're doing really well. I have eastern facing windows that are a pretty good size. Are there any other sux that anyone can recommend. Could I get away with baby toes?

Amanda / Zone 6
500 Posts
500 Posts
Most Hoya will do fine:
http://www.bigislandgrowers.com/ghp/AH.php

I wouldn't try an aloe or cactus, except for Rebutia Albiflora. I have 2 of these and they should be ok anywhere haworthias a/o gasterias do well. http://www.realrebutias.com/catalog%20files/catalog.htm

Cyclamen, and there are a lot more than what is offered in the grocery stores, will enjoy your conditions. They are technically 'minor bulbs' but they grow like succs. Be aware of their summer dormancy.
http://www.cyclamen.org/indexCS.html

I can't think of any others at the moment. As a rule, succs want lots of direct sunlight. That's why they developed their succulence; to conserve water in dry, sunny conditions.

As for fenestraria, IMHO they won't thrive, maybe not survive. However, these are plants we're talking about, not puppies and kittens. Go ahead and try. If they don't make it, compost them and let them help whatever you grow next year.

Best of luck...

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much Margaret.

My local HDs finally have some hoyas. I thought of picking one up, but I had already met my "plant allowance" for this pay period. lol Finally they have some decent looking hoya rubras(sp?). Maybe I'll treat myself to one next pay period. BettyBoop (thanks Betty) sent me a cutting of one about a month or so ago.

I have a tiny rebutia. I'm not sure what kind, but it's so cute. I'm glad it's not in danger living with me. It seems to be growing pretty well.

I do have three aloes that seem to do pretty well. And some jades. But I keep compact fluorescent bulbs trained on them, and I keep them within 6 or 7 inches of the window. I don't want to have to keep buying lamps and bulbs just to grow succulents. So thank you, thank you, thank you for the suggestions you gave me. grin

Amanda / Zone 6
500 Posts
500 Posts
thumbup Hi Amany I hope ur hoya is growing good for u
as u can see my Hoya is growed pretty good so for I keep
it hanging out side for now here is a pic of it to show u
[Linked Image]
just took pic thumbup so hope the one I sent to u does well too

[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts
Here Amany is a better pic I think
[Linked Image]

D Offline
Betty (just so you will know I too am a major fan of Betty Boop) but I had a question regarding Hoya cuttings. My Hoya is doing well except for the fact that it is thin and stringy. There are long branches that have grown this season but I was wondering if I should cut them and plant them back into the hanging pot to make it bushier. I hope to have it looking like yours one day. It's my only Hoya and Im a little afraid to experiment with it. At some point in the future if you'd be up to trading a piece of yours please keep me in mind. Mine is just green but I love the colors in yours. thanx

500 Posts
500 Posts
Well what one do you have I have like 4 kinds of it does ur;s look
like any of these [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
and Yes I can give you a clipping off of one of mine,and see how it does

I would love a clipping if possible?

Jeremiah 29:11
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Betty, you'd be proud to know that I have acquired to other hoyas. So now I have hoyas carnosa rubra, carnosa compacta and lacunosa. Here are the pictures:

LACUNOSA

[Linked Image]

CARNOSA RUBRA

[Linked Image]

CARNOSA COMPACTA (ROPE HOYA)

[Linked Image]

Amanda / Zone 6
500 Posts
500 Posts
Boy I am happy for you,I know you will enjoy them.
i really love mine,i have the same kind I have 4 all together
still looking for a heart shape one.Nice pic's of
your new plant's good luck with them Amany

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image