Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
I don't mean a loosing weight or gaining weight or exercising forum, but one that encourages those of us interested to eat healthy. When I was sick and was trying to eat healthy I felt soo much better (after I got over being sick) but I don't have support for this at work where I spend most of my time. People bring junk food to work to share constantly and it's hard for me to resist - especially cookies. I mean a support group. Possibly this isn't the right venue for this type of thing but I thought I'd ask since this is the first thing I do when I get home from work. Another addiction. oink

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I'd like to eat more healthy. I'm in.

For lunch right now I'm having leftover angel hair pasta with a few green beans from the garden that were saute'd in olive oil, and garlic, with butter.

OK now that i wrote it down it doesnt look so healthy. I dont do chemical food like margarine. so butter for flavor. The oil is evoo(extra virgin olive oil) I know the pasta is a carb. So how good or bad a choice is it? ANyone?

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
I think that's probably a pretty healthy lunch. Carbs aren't bad for us and the evoo is better than butter or margarine. Green beans - always good.

I read Marilu Henner's book a while back and that's the type of stuff she eats.

What are you drinking with your lunch? That's where I get in trouble. Pepsi!

I always carry water with me, so I am not sooo tempted to drink soda.
I used to not like water very much but it grows on you!

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I have a jug of water here all the time. I had a vitamin water after breakfast/ before lunch. I'm not much of a soda drinker unless a) I'm eating something super spicy or b) it has liquor in it! (Super bad!!)

Thats were my pop intake is (liquor), I find tho. the sugar makes me get a hangover!

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
I need to cut down on the Pepsi.

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Sheri try the flavored or vitamin waters. They wont be nearly as bland tasting as plain old water compared to pepsi.

what is a vitamin water?

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Its water with various flavors and added vitamins.
see vitamin water

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
I like water. I drink it too but my fav is Pepsi. Tonight for dinner I drank a glass of water first and now I'm having Pepsi. I'm going to try to cut down. If I cut out Pepsi completely I'm sure I'll fall over. So tonight I'll have 1/2 a glass.

I've never seen the vitamin water. I'll give it a try.

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
I'm gonna try the defense for the immune system.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Just wanted to let you know some vitamin waters have as much sugar as a soda.

My diabetic Uncle was drinking them trying to lose weight and ended up in the hospital because they couldn't control his sugar. Doc said the bottles he was drinking had 8 tsps of sugar in them.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
So what did everyone have for lunch?
I'm having a turkey and salami on whole wheat with mayo and lettuce. And a vitamin water cause plain water can be really dull and i still think its better than soda. 13g of sugar why I dont know what that is in teaspoons.
AND the only reson I didnt get a bag of chips is cause i knew i was coming here and didnt want to say I ate something so not good for me! clap

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am still on coffee, black, no sugar. I just had a sandwich, whole wheat roll, tomato, lettuce, cheese, ham with salad dressing and mustard. I thought about leaving off the ham but added it at the last minute.
But I had potato chips for breakfast. I find myself craving the salt in the mornings when it is hot. If I don't have chips I will cook something that is a venue for shoveling salt into my body. why

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I usually try to eat healthy, however my surgery has thrown a curve in my diet because it's just harder to fix healthy things and so I don't bother. I am going to try a paleolithic diet as soon as my foot heals to experiment and see if that helps with my digestive issues. The only thing I can't give up is my cup of coffee in the morning with my sugary but fat free non dairy creamer.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
paleolithic isnt that on the censored list?? Guess not. What are you talking about. Does that mean no dairy?

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
It means no dairy, breads, pasta, or grains. It's based on what our hunter/gatherer ancestors used to eat before chronic diseases and conditions showed up in the human race. Lots of whole fruits and veggies, lean meats, and nuts. Five people in one of my support groups recommended it purely for the reason that it's helped them solve some of their digestive issues. I have a feeling that wheat and gluten are things that my body is reacting to. At this point, I'm willing to try anything to get my digestive system under control, if it doesn't help then I'll stop.

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
A LOT of people have wheat allergies and don't even know it. If you feel tired ALL the time, cut out wheat product. It could be them.
(Not aiming that at you Cheryl that 'you" was a general every-you)

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Our hunter/gather ancestors did gather grains. Lots of grains. But they didn't process them much. Just got rid of the chaff, soaked and boiled. That is the big difference with modern foods, processing. I have never understood taking the germ out of the wheat (or oats or barley or....), then selling it separately. It makes no sense for the most part and adds expense to food.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I've already figured out that soy is one of my bad foods and I've noticed that when I limit my breads and pasta's my stomach does do much better than if I eat more breads and pastas. I know that with one of the conditions that I have, gluten is a big culprit and instead of gastrointerologists doing food allergy tests they just throw out a diagnoses and tell you to eat more fiber. A lot of the foods that they tell you to eat that have fiber are breads, which of course have the wheat that may be causing the problems.

That paleolithic diet sounds 'right'.
They don't make anything like they used to anymore. even food. it's all wrong and we sit and wonder why disease is so rampant dispite all our medical advances.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wrennie, 4 grams of sugar is equal to 1 teaspoon.

Too many chemicals in our food now.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
Marilu Henner's book does say to cut out dairy but not grains. My sister is allergic to gluten and it's hard to live gluten free. When one of my children was a baby she was put on soy milk (that was the rage at that time) and was constantly crying and had diaper rash. I finally changed her formula on my own because her doctor kept doing tests and assuring me that "it's not the milk Sheri. Soy is the closet thing to nature other than breast milk and only 2% of the population is allergic to soy" but she was better immediately. Her diaper rash cleared in 2 days. Since being sick and reading Marilu's book I have cut out cheese (which I ate daily - I love cheese) and do feel better. I had an accupunturist - is that what they're called - tell me that I need to stop eating bread one time but I haven't. Bread is my main food source. What else are you going to eat?

Cheryl, of what will a meal on the paleolithic plan consist?

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
So as far as eating healthy this morning I got up and toasted me 2 Buttermilk Eggos. The box does say "enriched with 10 vitamins and minerals and a good source of calcium", and I put melted Land O Lakes Real Butter on them and Aunt Jamima Syrup all over them and ate one of them washing it down with Pepsi. The entire time I was eating this yummy thing I kept thinking that this is my body, I'm responsible for what goes into it, I'm ultimately responsible for my own health yada yada yada. So, I threw the other yummy Eggo with butter and syrup in the trash. I did not however pour the Pepsi down the sink. I either have to start eating better foods or stop watching Oprah and Dr. Oz. Decisions decisions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image