Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#112208 Aug 17th, 2007 at 10:31 AM
OP Offline
Hi Everyone,

I think I might be killing my plants with kindness. We're in a bad drought down here in FL and I've been watering my plants a lot. I've notice some of the leaves on some of the plants are turning colors. It seems like the veins in the leaves are green but the rest of it is turning yellow? Too much water, too little? Help idea

Gaillardia #112266 Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:04 AM
Well....Coupla questions for ya. I'm in Orlando. What kind of plants ? and what do you use 4 your water source ? Tap water, aquarium water, filtered?
just how often do u water and how much at a time?and finally what kind of soil are plants in..potting, sand or mix ?
Randy

randymanorlando #112276 Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:15 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
My soil is very sandy and we've been having these 100 degree temps recently. I water daily. My plants get tons of water because there is nothing to retain it in the soil, so it just pours through. Knowing your soil type would be very helpful.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #112450 Aug 17th, 2007 at 04:47 PM
It may not be a question of water but of nutrients.
If you are not feeding them (especially if they are in VERY sandy soil and watered a lot)you may be robbing them of nutrients.
The idea is -that plants recieve nutrients that are transported with the water (ozmosis) and the nutrients move(always)from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration. So if you are constantly watering without feeding you may actually be pulling the nutrients out of the plant (reverse ozmosis).
And the situation would be made worse if you did have sandy soil.

Emerald #113036 Aug 18th, 2007 at 06:51 AM
OP Offline
Good Morning Everyone,
Thanks for the answers. When I started my garden last year, I put in tons of black cow fertilizer and soil. No more sand. I have left my soaker hose on overnight a couple of times and I'm worried I'm killing them. My Butterfly plants, Porters weed and Cat Whiskers seem to be the most affected. I use Osmecal (hope I spelled that right). It is time released for four months. Am I doing something wrong???

Gaillardia #113466 Aug 18th, 2007 at 05:50 PM
I'm stumped. I live in Beautifull Brithish Columbia, and we don't get that kind of weather here.
Good Luck Though!

Emerald #113806 Aug 19th, 2007 at 04:08 AM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i don't know either other than mine cant take the heat this year no matter what i do!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
faerywatcher #113807 Aug 19th, 2007 at 04:12 AM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
here a few that is suffering....phlox, coneflowers, butterfly bushes, blackeyed susans, knock out rose, silver lace vine, hydrangea, and even the weeds are'nt flourishing!

the only thing that has held up this year for me is that sedum stuff!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
faerywatcher #113882 Aug 19th, 2007 at 08:37 AM
I have 1 spider plant. 1 jade. a pot of basil and a hanging moss. When I started, I was watering the spider every day, the basil too and the jade,hanging moss once a week. Listen, the jade lost most of the leaves, the hanging moss lost all of it's leaves the basil withered into nothing and the spider just stopped growing. Keep in mind that in Orlando, we've had 100 degree weather for 2 months. I was on the verge of tears. I didn't know what to do.
My gardening mentor and friend Tori told me that I was watering way tooooo much. When in doubt, it is better to underwater than to overwater. You will kill your plants faster than anything else by too much watering.
So, I cut back on the jade and the hanging moss (which are succulents-cactus related) I cut back to once (1) a month, a good soaking and the Basil/spider plant to 1 light watering a week and BOOM!!!! They ALL busted out like gangbusters.(btw. I have a soaker hose on my COnfederate Jasmine outside and I water them for about 5 minutes three times a week) I would never leave soaker hose on overnight...never.ever. ever. Making sure that the soil/plant is completely dry b4 u water them again is paramount. Too wet and staying wet without drying is inviting disaster. Anyhoo, that's my story and my advice to you. The advice is free so it can be taken or left. Good luck to you and let me know how it goes for u. shots

randymanorlando #114130 Aug 19th, 2007 at 01:54 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I've watered and watered but in this heat my plants are dyiing or have died anyway. I think it's the dry heat.

Bestofour #114642 Aug 20th, 2007 at 09:53 AM
just DON'T water TOOOOOOOOO much people. The heat is one thing. But it's ALWAYS better to under water than to over water. You will kill your plants quicker that u can say "jack rabbit" if u water too much. Spider plant...everyone says u cant kill these no matter how gard u try. Well i just about pulled it off watering everyday. I cut back to lightly wyatering once a week and it is making a thunderous come back. I live in Orlando Florida where its been 100+ every day with no rain for the past 3-4 weeks. Even still if I water evry day, I might has well ,go out, pull 'em all up by the roots and set them on fire. My spices are dry, but those are the only plnts that are suffering from the heat and dry. Theres nothing u ca do. Just keep em alive. wait for rain and cooler weather. SO PUT AWAY YOUR WATERING FETISH AND GIVE EM A CHANCE TO DRY IN BETWEEN WATERINGS!!!!! succulents should only be watered 1) ONCE a month. Thats right. You heard me once a month soak em then love em.Thats it

randymanorlando #115221 Aug 20th, 2007 at 07:08 PM
OP Offline
The only thing that's happy in my garden is the Elephant ears which are almost as big as an elephant and split leaf philodendron which have leaves three feet across and it's 6ft. high now. Oh yeah, Jasmine's doing fine too. Will this weather ever end? I originally come from RI and they tell me it's almost cold enough to put the heat on for a little bit in the morning.

Gaillardia #115226 Aug 20th, 2007 at 07:11 PM
OP Offline
I forgot to tell you. I spoke with my friend who is a Master Gardener and she said it's a nutrient deficiency. She said to give them a shot of liquid Miracle Grow even though I fed them Osmecote a couple of months ago. Even though the package says time released for up to four months, she says use it more frequently. I guess this happened when we had a couple of very rare rain storms last month. My yard is on a slant and the water comes rushing down over the garden. Hopefully this will help. why

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image