Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#113860 Aug 19th, 2007 at 08:05 AM
OP Offline
Bought a Jade Plant last winter. It gets light from a south window in my office all winter it was growing wonderfully until this summer. I started loosing a lot of leaves so I thought it needed to be repotted. I did this and ever since I have ended up loosing two hole stems my leaves are gone the three leaves remaining are wilted at stem and bent over but are still green. Woke up this morning and one shoot is bent over the stems at the top are swriveling the stems are brown. I read the info offered here and friday I redid my dirt added equal parts sand with dirt and bought bone meal and added maybe a tablespoon and a half. My office runs between mid to high 80's to high 90's and the humidity has been staying in the mid 30's. If I put this Jade back into a smaller tarra cotta pot will it survive or will it continue to die out. It right now is in a probably 5 gal ceramic pot that is painted. Please help me, My Jade was so pretty until the 90 to 100 degree wheather set in now my Jade looks extremely sick. The dirt does feel dry and if I give it just a little water it sickens even more. What am I doing wrong ??

watrbug2 #114053 Aug 19th, 2007 at 12:19 PM
Is it rotting? Jades do that sometimes. If so then you probably need to get rid of all rotten pieces before they spread (salvage the cuttings) and re-pot again.

Emerald #114158 Aug 19th, 2007 at 03:37 PM
OP Offline
I'm not sure ! Every time part of the stem would shrivel up I would cut it off and more of the stem would rott. Now at this point more of the stems are turning even more dark brown and shriveling up more I have tried cutting good stems and repotting them but they die. I have better luck with propagatin a coulpe of leaves with very small/short stem or just the two leaves joined together. Do you think it is because my office is so hot and I have given it too much water that it is adding a lot of moisture to the soil ? I am really stumpt. None of this happened until my office hit the high80's to 90's and has stayed that way for several weeks now.

watrbug2 #114384 Aug 19th, 2007 at 08:42 PM
It may be getting too much water. Jade plants require very little water and a common mistake people make is killing them with kindness. It seems that the more attention you pay to them the worse they do. I know this because I used to be a first class houseplant killer, and the only one that would ever survive was the jade that I watered twice per year. The drainage is important as someone else suggested. Since it sounds to be unfortunately 'on it's way out' (once they start to rot it's very hard to stop and is also a result of overwatering) it probably wouldn't hurt to move it to a VERY well drained pot that's much smaller than the one you have and see what happens. They don't like to have too much room. From the bottom branches fullest point your pot should only extend a half inch to an inch out. I would give it a little root hormone or something like that in the new home, and NO water. Moist potting soil out of a bag will be fine. Good luck!

ShadyLadyMN #114388 Aug 19th, 2007 at 08:53 PM
the plant rot contaminates your tools so you may be spreading it when you take the cuttings. be carefull to sterilize (between every cut!)

Emerald #114469 Aug 20th, 2007 at 06:03 AM
OP Offline
Thank you Emerald and ShadyLadyMN I do appreciate your help. I do believe your right. The Jade is on its way to Plant Heaven. I started one from a leafstem cutting last winter. It's grown 2 inches since it's been outside since mid spring and it's not sold I think I know why it's still hear! Negelect!! Think I'll do that. Thanks again wat-r-bug2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image