Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#108693 Aug 13th, 2007 at 06:00 AM
bjames Offline OP
OP Offline
I started Cypress Vines and Cardinal Vines in the house in late March, which was plenty of time for a good head start for the summer season. I planted them outside in large containers in good soil, in full sun, and my quandry is about the blooms. They started to bloom and had a nice amount of flowers, although not what I wanted or expected them to have, but I thought that they would become more prolific as time went by. This did not happen at all. Now, in August, there are only about 5 flowers each day. I even fertilized them. I am watering them everyday in very warm weather, never allowing them to dry out. I really wanted a lush flowering habit for the hummingbirds. What is the story with these vines?

bjames
bjames #108695 Aug 13th, 2007 at 06:12 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I had the same results with the cardinal climber vine. Sounds like youre doing all you can. Do you pinch off the spent blooms? It might help.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #108699 Aug 13th, 2007 at 06:24 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
Cardinal vines, morning glories, etc. don't like to be fertilized. Too much nitrogen will result in lots of foliage, but little flowers. With that said, cardinal and cypress vines aren't very lush vines anayway, but I have found they usually do best when planted in the ground rather than in containers.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #113369 Aug 18th, 2007 at 02:00 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I don't water my cypress vines as much.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thats just where I tossed a bunch of seeds off last years vines.No fertilizer.I sometimes splash them when filling dogs water..otherwise...fend for itself.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image