Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#112435 Aug 17th, 2007 at 04:32 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I planted a rose in a container this year and I'm wondering how I should care for it through the winter. I could bring it inside, but I'm not sure I'd have enough light for it. What suggestions can you give me?

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #113025 Aug 18th, 2007 at 06:03 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
Since you are in Canada I'm assuming it gets pretty cold in winter, so you could get a bag or 2 of mulch and bury the pot with the mulch at least 6 in. over the crown of the rose. Get a loose mulch so it won't retain too much water. You may still get some stem die back, but that can be trimmed off next spring.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #113122 Aug 18th, 2007 at 08:24 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
being its mobile...so to speak.you could also move it to a better protected area.
Do you know what rose it is?

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #113403 Aug 18th, 2007 at 02:48 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Actually I don't, my daughter bought it for me on Mother's day. Here is a picture of it.

[Linked Image]

I can move the rose to wherever I need to, just tell me what you think I should do.

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal #113414 Aug 18th, 2007 at 03:31 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Gotta bury it Rosepetal. Be careful with the mulch though if you have alot of field mice in your area. They burrow in it and eat the stems. Trust me on that one lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #113532 Aug 18th, 2007 at 08:09 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i don't know what you are going to do with it, but it sure is pretty!

#113825 Aug 19th, 2007 at 07:01 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I'll get back to you monday.I have a rose book its in shed somewhere packed up.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #113966 Aug 19th, 2007 at 11:14 AM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Could I maybe leave it in a cool dark place with lots mulch on top?

Do I cut the stems back now or in spring?

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal #114450 Aug 20th, 2007 at 04:38 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Rosepetal, I have lost every rose I have tried to overwinter. It's just too cold here. I'm sure your winters get as cold as mine also. We have days over -45*C. Even a hybrid tea will die in the ground.

I know the rose has sentimental value and you won't want to lose it so it is better to put it in the ground. Just dig a hole in one of your flower beds and plant it up, you can redig and place it in a pot again in the spring if you want.

I never cut back my roses in the fall. I also don't do the mulch thing either, I've had mice nest in the mulch and kill the roses. We get heavy snow early so I just gather it up and cover the roses well. It the cold air that kills them not the snow. My neighbour covers hers the end of November with a rose styrofoam hut.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #114483 Aug 20th, 2007 at 06:42 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
ok found my book I wanted and 2 others I didn't know were there.

The expierment was done in Southern Ontario.

dug trench laid pot in trench after ground froze cover w mulch
VS
Dug trench laid pot wrapped in hardware fabric cover w/ mulch.
VS
pull in garage,water every 6 weeks.

The one kept in garage ,watered every 6 weeks emerged in spring with no disease barely any die back.
The trench with hardware cloth lost main cane had 30% die back& emerged 6 weeks later than garage kept withstood -34C temps average snowfall(was 2003)
The trench with mulch only.died,the mice made a home and destroyed the plant.

From the various roses in experiment.some of the ones mulched in ground got diseases.only lost 6% that we're garage/shed kept.trenched method,the hardware cloth ones fared better,but alot of those showed disease problems.Was no mention of dome covers.was mention at begining of experiment about some against house with protection of evergreen limbs,but no results at end of experiment& that was Manitobia.

I think the issue with diseases could be it may have been already in the soil or in the mulch or the plant could have been diseased but when put it through the stress of wintering in those condtions the disease worsened or then showed.The expierment was about wintering roses in the various areas of Canada.the results we're worse in zones 3 of upper Canada,but some own root roses actually survived.I originally saved the article cause was very informative on which roses did well& how disease resistant they we're.Maine was included in the test.Those who endured bad northeaster's along the coast.

I'd bring it inside,garage would be great or the shed would too.just water every 6 weeks.You don't want the soil wet with cold,but you don't want to dehydrate your plant either.1 liter of water was used in experiment.

Nice rose.I love the flowers.

njoynit #114658 Aug 20th, 2007 at 10:19 AM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Thanks lots njoynit and Tamara, because my flowerbed is out in the open and we get lots of cold freezing wind in our area I'm going to try the garage idea and make sure to remember to water it.

It seems to be a pretty hardy rose so far and it has had so many blooms already, so I'm really hoping I can save it. I do have other roses right beside my house planted in lime rocks and they have survived for a few years now, but I wanted to try this one in a pot. So we'll see what will happen to it.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image