Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#106953 Aug 10th, 2007 at 07:12 AM
sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
good to hear you got the perfect rain tammy! i think my flowers are perkin back up from our heavy down pour

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I haven't done anything but water my gardens lately. We've been having hot winds, drying everything out as fast as I can sprinkle. But on a positive note today is cloudy and no wind so far. Will try and get as much water on everything as possible.

I'll be picking cucumbers any day now, lots of blooms on my plants.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I moved 6 alpine currant shrubs today. Gotta mow the yard this week end.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
lol i just noticed i spelled today wrong on the topic lol blushoops
the sunflowers arnt perking back up so i might try to steak em or just cut em all n pot em in vaces.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'm planning on getting out there and turning the rest of the compost pile. It's beautiful out there today.

Well I didn't get it all done but I got most of it. So it's just a matter of cleaning it up a bit and then pulling the finished compost that I'll piled up seperately into a container to make compost tea. Hopefully I'll be able to do that tomorrow.

Last edited by tkhooper; Aug 11th, 2007 at 05:21 AM.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Awrgh, I keep noticing more things are damaged.

I've got a burning bush shrub that is broke at the base. I'm beyond cutting back and the 'wait and see', I'm going out there today and tearing up everything that is really damaged.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Tamara, what a chore that must be to have to tear everything up instead of just working it.

[Linked Image]

sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
tearsi went down to check on the shade area n my koi fish was bellied up tears no idea what happend, there wasnt any marks on it, so i know it wasnt the cats or coons, the gold fish was ok.

there was no helping the sunflowers,n the cleomes wernt helpin with their thorns, so i have a huge vace of sunflowers in the kitchen. n tossed some cleomes in the woods, i noticed a yucca growing there, musta been from years ago seeds i tossed there.

started somemore bieannuals, shoulda did that last month o-well better late than never.

worked on bb's house, the floor i cut to small so ill try again tomarro, noticed the flowers are starting to bllom around it n the vines are growing nice.

[Linked Image]
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
For the last few years I've been planting veggies in my current area, there's always been large rose of sharon plants bording the edge[total of 2 plants].... and you know how those things reseed.. egad boohoo they take up space and light, too...

My grandmother said I could move them in the fall, but that will take a LOT of work... these are big now, much taller than me..I'm going to dig as deep as i can to try to get them out in the fall... I'm also expanding the area a little, and am getting a truckload of top soil in the spring for a raised bed.

grin

Once the projec starts I'll post pics...

Last edited by badplanter; Aug 11th, 2007 at 06:13 PM.

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Gardening is so cool. I always find something that I need to add to the garden. Even when I'm out of room lol.

Today I managed to water and then to finish turning the compost pile.

I noticed some leaves decomposing over in the wild corner of the garden so I scraped them up the best I could and added them to the compost pile.

I'll sweep up the rest of them and the finished compost under them tomorrow. This time of year it's great to get some leaves. Although my last bunch of grass clippings actually qualify as browns now.

I wonder if I can convince my landlord that he needs to mow the lawns of his properties so I can get more greens.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I went on a tearing up spree. Took out alot of damaged trees and bushes. I think the yard will look better, going to put perennials to replace a few things in spring(I need to divide a few things then anyway).

DH wants to add another 1/2 acre to our lawn(from the hay field). Holy cr@p, I mow an acre and a half already. Not gonna happen. He said, "well, you just have to move all that stuff over~can't be that hard". No, it's easy to move 10 foot tall cedar trees, apple trees and 20 currant bushes and ......... zoink

Last edited by tamara; Aug 12th, 2007 at 05:35 AM.

sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
shock o wow! on one hand another half acre to the yard! yea! grin on the other hand moving all thoses trees n stuff nervous
tell him if he wants another half acer he can move the trees over lol thumbup

you realy been bustin your butt tamara!

[Linked Image]
sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
think i got all my bieannuals done! thinking of what all i want to winter sow this year,i should go weed but its way to hot!

[Linked Image]
Well, golly gosh. Who'da thunk there'd be a WDYDITGT #9 just down the page?? I didn't see #9 until after I posted on #8. Duh. Maybe I'll have to do something in the garden tomorrow. :~D

Julianne
sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
lolwe all have done that a time or two notme

i read all you did! wow! you did alot,

i collected more seeds n added compost around bb's house, thinned out some vines, i have a hard time just tossin plants away so i put some on the raspberry fence, we'll see how they do. cant believe i only have one cup n saucer vine commin up! the rest just died off tears
grinbut i did notice some first year holly hocks commin up! woo hoo! thought id lost em! n i started a hole flat in the green house to plant this fall lolguess ill have a bunch next year! grin

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Everything is watered. And now I'm resting. Next on my list is moving the tree prunings the landlord left me for the compost pile and then moving the petunias that are comming up in the peacock orchid space. Two that I have already transplanted have survived so I have hope for these next two. I just need to find the right space.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I picked my first set of cucumbers today, not much there but it's a start. Also pulled some onions, beets and carrots for fresh eating this week hmmmmmmmm.

Then I cut the broccoli off, I've been having big problems with the green worms on broc, but today was great. Blanched it for the freezer, good to use in soups and casseroles during winter.

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I got the lawn cut, trimmed and weed wacked. That's about it...

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
My landlord brought me tree prunings and grass clippings so I got out there and got them all mixed into my compost pile. It is now the optimal 3'X 3' size woohoo. I love compost.

As soon as I recover I'll got water. It's wonderful out there this morning. A little warm for manual labor but so much better than it has been.

Anyway, I'm loving it as usually. The zinnia are blooming good and the ornamental grass is surviving. And hopefully everything else will come back.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Holy &*$#, it's cold out there today. If this keeps up we will have frost soon. Going to town today, hoping to get a few garden clearance plants.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
that's one short growing season. It's still way to hot hear and no where near the end of the season. I haven't even begun to harvest the few seeds I will get this year. Other than one pepper worth of the Hungarian Boldog Spice pepper seeds. I'm still hoping I'll get more of those.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I pick and shredded some zucchini today for the freezer, my zucchini are finally doing something. Also picked the ripe tomatoes and peppers from my greenhouse plants.

Tamara we're getting cold nights here too, and I'm scared we'll have a frost one of these days, planning on covering some of my plants but I sure can't cover everything.

[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I got all my watering done and even managed to water the compost pile. And then I transplanted two volunteer petunias from the front containers to the backyard garden. I hope they survive. But I couldn't leave them where they were because they were underneath the mums and thyme plants. The container plants all did very well this year. I guess they liked the compost.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I finished the watering. And the two petunias are still alive and well. Then I redug some trenching along the retaining wall because it had filled in with dirt. I need the trench to stop the water from flowing down the retaining wall and watering the parking lot.

I also had enough water to sprinkle some on the compost pile again today.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I've never done a thing outside in a few days, it won't stop raining. Supposed to be clear today though. The cold has killed most of the annuals, only the dianthus has made it through.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Tamara you sure haven't had much of a summer this year have you? Maybe you'll have a really nice fall. It's been cool here the last few days, no frost I hope but like you we must take what comes.

Watered my tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse this morning and picked a few ripe tomatoes too.

[Linked Image]

1k Posts
1k Posts
Gee, can ya send some cool breeze here? It's sweltering ! I'm counting the seconds 'til fall.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Raining again. I had to light the woodstove today after all, it only reached 57*F. Brrr...

Sending a cool breeze to ya DeborahL.

Rosepetal where are you from? Sounds like we are having the same type of weather. Last week we had 2 or 3 days where it was freezing. Ok not freezing but really cold. I was camping this past weekend and my mother said there was frost on Saturday morning. But it couln't have been that bad or in my area because all the tomato plants survived. I thought everything would be ok since it had rained a lot before I left, but I guess it got really hot and some of my container tomatoes are looking a bit dry. So that's all I've done, water a little here and there. It's has warmed up again and going into a hot weekend. I am trying to finish a walkway between my and the neighbors house, but hauling rock is heavy work. rspb And it doesn't look like the man around here or next door is gonna do any of it. :mad:

Nuria
1k Posts
1k Posts
Lighting the STOVE???? It's so hot here that it's hard to remember what cool weather is like.
Thanks for the cool breeze....guess it'll get here eventually...

sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
shockfrost already! nervouscancolgirl that would freak me out!
we had chilly nights n mornings but the days are hot n humid.

i weeded n got a bucket full of calendula seeds. im tryin to collect all those seeds before they fall so they dont reseed themselves in that bed, next year i wanna put them in the driveway bed n bring the blanket flowers in to that bed.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Cancolgirl, Rosepetal lives out in Western Canada as well.

Well, I found a few more bean pods on those ratty plants in the clearing. Also picked some wild raspberries and will try go pick some beaked hazelnuts this week end. Oh, and I seen a coyote yesterday in the field...he was scarey.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have one paparika pepper on the vine and one banana pepper. Lots of flowers but there isn't a bee in sight. I don't know what's up with that.

We got rain so I don't need to water. And I just finished turning the compost so I don't need to do that. But I sure do need to weed.

So far all I've managed is to walk around the garden and more or less take inventory. One of the transplanted Egyptian Walking Onions is still spliting and making new plants so that's good. One of them died so I'm about even there.

The two newly transplanted petunias are doing well so I'm happy about that and look forward to seeing what color they end up to be.

A couple of the freesia's have completely browned so I need to dig around and find them. I think I'll store them in a brown paper bag in the crisper. I hope that works.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Some of the leaves are changing colour on the trees already.

I see some new growth on my storm damaged perennials. I think most will pull through.

I am in the process of digging up a piece of ground to plant some bulbs this fall. DH just rolls his eyes and asks no questions. lol

1k Posts
1k Posts
It was a hot one today again, but the smoke from the forest fires make it even worse.

Cancolgirl I just live south of you so we have pretty much the same type of weather, although you've had more rain then we have. We're so dry right now our grass completely brown/yellow. I'm having a real time keeping the garden and my flowers moist enough to keep going.

Picked some cucumbers today, sure don't have much of a crop this year, not sure what's wrong. Hopefully my beans which are just as late will do better.

[Linked Image]

I am building a stick fence to seperate a bit of garden space away from my dogs space. I have a newborn so it's a slow project, but today I am just getting the 2 gates secure and now the space is ALL MINE!!!!!! Oh, how I have been waiting for this day!

500 Posts
500 Posts
So Emerald How old is ur new baby and boy/girl
I hope u can show pic's soon,would like to see
your fence ur working on

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeders, filled the bird baths (it's so hot and dry the birds aren't singing anymore), and watered my container plants. I've given up on the other plants and the garden.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Will be be doing nothing today, pouring rain again.

Guess it's time for me to send some rain to y'all again.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Oh my gosh. Please send us some rain. This is getting like a horror movie. All the trees are dropping limbs, not just the leaves, but entire limbs are falling off. We haven't had a drop of rain in I don't even know how long now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image