Rate Thread
#111968 Aug 17th, 2007 at 05:07 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
No not my mother the flowers lol.

I have a plant that was a nice burgandy color last year. This year the flowers are coming some burgandy and some a yellow bronze combination. It is really really strange. And I promise I don't have two bushes stuck together. Can anyone tell me is this normal for mums to do. This is the second year I have had this plant. Last year it was all burgandy. I bought it at the grocery store.

The cuttings I took from it are mostly the yellow orange but I do have one that is close to burgandy in color.

Your insights sure are welcome.

[Linked Image]
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
I wonder if it was a cross breed and one of the mother plants is becoming more dominant? I know that happens with other plants, so why not mums, although I've never had it happen. Or since they are from cuttings, could it have cross pollinated with another mum? Or could someone have snuck in and switched them out? Or could it be a sign of the apocalypse? Or....

:-)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
lol @ alan

Hey alan. I don't think it is a cross pollination problem. That would affect seeds not the parent plant right? I'm guess more than anything else hear.

when your talking about one parent becoming stronger are you talking about devolving like roses do sometimes? that is a very good suggestion and one I never would have thought of.

Is there anyway to stop it that you know of? I love the burgandy color more than the varigated color that I'm getting now.

I don't think they plant has been switched because it does have some burgandy blooms on it in places. And it is a humungous plant.

BTW did I mention that I think you are really smart.

Last edited by tkhooper; Aug 17th, 2007 at 08:13 AM.

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
I bought some lovely deep burgundy mums at walmart in July. They are in a sunny spot and getting (rapidly!) yellow and orangy. I wonder if the sun is bleaching them, maybe? What sort of light are yours in? Are you getting crazy-hot heat over there in VA?

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
When more than one parent plant is used to create a specific cultivar, one of the parent plants can be stronger, take over and the plant can revert back to the characteristics of that parent plant. This often happens with plants with variegated leaves...they revert back to green leaves. Removing the stems with the green leaves is the only way to keep it variegated. I'm not sure if removing the stems with the color you don't want will work in this case, mainly becasue I don't know for sure why it has changed color. If you relly have your heart set on burgandy, you might want to just replace it with another burgandy colored mum.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
Could it have something to do with minerals or soil acidity/alkalinity, the way hydrangeas can be white, pink, or blue depending on whether they are grown with iron a/o acid soil?

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Margaret I don't think so. I really believe that Alan has hit the nail on the head.

Hi Landofoz, yes those are exactly the conditions mine are experiencing it is full sun and it has been in the 90's most of the time.

But as I mentioned up above only some of the flowers have turned yellow orangy. The other blooms are comming in burgandy.

Possibly the yellow/orange parent is more heat tolerant. Maybe if I snip off the blooms and wait until it cools down some before I let it flower it will come up with the burgandy color?

Last edited by tkhooper; Aug 18th, 2007 at 07:49 AM.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image