Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#109271 Aug 13th, 2007 at 04:51 PM
OP Offline
I have a Jade plant as a gift. I have it on a screened in porch. Gets morning to mid-morning sun. Started off watering once a week. Did great bop
Several central florida storms soaked the Jade blowing in. Jade still looked o.k....But then touched why badday.....
I was given a home made bug spray recipe f 1 gal of water 1 cup dish soap and 1 cup cooking oil....I know...I know..What was I gonna do? I'm new at this...
I sprayed all my plants(Jade,Hanging Moss,Spider plant,and Basil)...fried averything to a crisp..Jade lost many leaves, hanging moss lost all leaves...I think I'm gonna be sick boohoo badday
The Jade is back to dessert dry and the hanging moss is almost dry again. Can I get some sound advice on salvage or salvation ?
One more quickie...If I water my Spider Plant until it seeps out the weep hole, how many times a week should I water it?
Thank You All

Last edited by randymanorlando; Aug 13th, 2007 at 05:05 PM.
#109691 Aug 14th, 2007 at 07:34 AM
OP Offline
Thank you afgreyparrot. The links you provivded are invaluable and answered just about every question I had. You may not know much about Jade, but you sure know how to find the answers. The part about letting the cuttings or leaves calous over ; I never would have figured that out on my own.
I need to ask all what kind of sand do I use to mix with my potting soil? Specific kind or treated sand or just run of the mill kind?
Thank you again afgreyparrot for your time and consideration.
randymanorlando

500 Posts
500 Posts
I used to live in Orlando, it gets wicked humid there in the summer. Therefore, how often you water your spider will depend on lots of environmental conditions, including what size and type of pot its in. Water it when it's dry to around your second nuckle. Twice a week in winter? Once a month in parts of the summer? When its dry. Spiders are forgiving, I'm finding out.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
OP Offline
yeah..it's really hot and humid here now. How often dhould I water the spider at 96 degrees and 87 humidity. I have let it dry up pretty good since the spider along with my jade and hanging moss got oversoaked with rain blowing in on my porch

OP Offline
Well, I did it. I re-potted ALL of my plants. The Jade is the proud new owner of a bigger better ceramic pot. All have a new 1 to 1 sand - soil ratio and seem happier already. I caressed each one and spoke to the plant in a soft nd soothing voice. I told them each to hang in there and that they would all get better or else I new where each of them lived and would pay them each a visit in the middle of the night...Too dramatic ?

Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
I skip the 'I know where you live'....and change that for how pretty they are and how much you love them!! thumbup The rest was good!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
500 Posts
500 Posts
Now give the jade time. It will resent what has happened to it and pout. It will drop leaves. This is normal when changing a jade's pot/soil/lighting. It'll be fine, just don't worry and change anything else for a month or so.

May God bless the WHOLE world!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image