Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#111281 Aug 16th, 2007 at 08:46 AM
letsgab Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all!!! I hope someone can help me with this. I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania. We had a very large tree fall last week that we have Pachysandra planted all around. Can someone please tell me when is the best time of the year to transplant this to another spot in our yard?

Thanks in advance

letsgab #111430 Aug 16th, 2007 at 09:58 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
you can move them now...there's still time for the roots to get re-established before the cold weather sets in.

just make sure to water them well every day for the first couple of weeks - you want to get the roots growing well. i'd recommend using root stimulant also.

it's easy: just mix up a batch as per the directions on the package (it's a liquid and is concentrated) and then pour some into the new hole, place the plant in and back fill with soil, pour on some more of the root stimulant and then give a good soaking with plain water.

the root stimulant REALLY makes a difference when transplanting!! it's the liquid stuff...not the root hormone powder. i got it at lowes and i'm sure home depot would carry it also.

i'd also make sure to mulch really well around the plants for the winter - i use crushed leaves (in a layer about 6 inches thick) to protect all my plants from the cold in the winter. since they will be still fairly newly planted when the cold hits, it's really important to provide protection for the roots this winter...shouldn't be too much of a concern next year as they plants will be fully re-established by then.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image