Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#110799 Aug 15th, 2007 at 04:19 PM
OP Offline
I have 4 banana trees, 2 regular ones and 2 dwarfs. They have about 11 babies between them but I am clueless how to remove the baby trees and plant them elsewhere. I tried 3 already and unfortunately they died. Could someone please let me know how I can replant the babies without killing them?

I am new to this forum and appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Thanks!

#110802 Aug 15th, 2007 at 04:25 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Cindy!

CelticJan #111239 Aug 16th, 2007 at 07:50 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
it helps to know your climate.I have a dwarf,but have not removed any pups from it.It has one now.When I dig it for winter.I'll just keep it together then remove it in spring.My others?I wasn't nice.I shoved a shovel in ground out from root pried under the root& tilted plant so could to root area.I used a mashette.mines sharp,you could proably use a bow saw.I then planted them out and keept them well watered for about a month& we're getting new leaves.I'd say in the hot heat use some mulch or grass clippings& cut off all but one leaf.

so how tall is your dwarf?All I know is my dwarf is a cavendish.I got it as a pup in the fall.Its about 3 ft.I liked it younger when the new leaves had purple variegation.Then my other is little prince.It won't get over 2 ft.It has a pup but this plant is so bushy like you don't notice it at all when look it.its very green though I've heard all bad stuff about this one.My others are just regular hardy basjoo's.I'm removeing my large one from divideing my front bed,but will try to grow it in house over winter.Its got lots of pups comeing up around its base.I've had it 4-5 years somewhere in that range.In spring I'll decide where to grow it.My brugs grow into it.

The 3 you think died.check them.dig them and make sure is no rot.I thought one was dead once...I tossed it on ground at back of shed.It started sprouting 4 months later.I planted it.Did you do any soil prepping for where your moveing them?I add compost to existing soil& top dress with compost.

Cindy.It proably belonged in fruits

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #116653 Aug 23rd, 2007 at 05:52 AM
OP Offline
Many thanks for your reply and advice! So appreciated. My 2 dwarf banana trees are also cavendish variety. I got them in February and now they are about 3 ft high and have retained the purple leaves, although I notice the lower leaves are green.

I live in Florida so they get a lot of heat. I still have the dwarfs in pots so I can take inside should a hurricane threaten. I will hopefully plant in the ground next year when they are stronger. The cavendish have 3 babies/pups each, I did fertilize them with 10-10-10 fertilizer and the shoots appeared soon after.

I will let you know how I do with moving the babies to another spot.

Thanks again!!

Jan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image