Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#110247 Aug 14th, 2007 at 09:11 PM
OP Offline
Please help. I receive a house plant three years ago. It was in bloom when I received it; but, hasn't bloomed since.

It has been growing nicely but has now developed some small whitish / grey spots (primarily on the bottom of the leaves). Since this development the leave have been falling from the plant (from the bottom up).

1) Does anyone recognize this plant (hopefully the photos came across)?
2) Does anyone have a suggestion of what the spots could be or how to stop the spots and lose of leaves.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Charlie

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\My Digital Camera\2007_8_14[/img] [img]C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\My Digital Camera\2007_8_14[/img]

FarmerCharlie #110258 Aug 14th, 2007 at 09:44 PM
Charlie- you will need to upload the picture onto the internet for us to be able to see the picture. You can go to places like www.imageshack.com to host your picture.

After you upload the picture, (it's very similar to attaching something to an email), you need to go to the image and with your mouse, right click on the picture. You should be able to go to "properties" and then the url (the internet address) will show up on a tab of a window. hit CTRL and C (this is copy) after you highlight the entire address, and then go into the forum and hit the image button and hit CTRL and V (this is paste) to put the url onto the forum.

We can help you with your plant after we see a picture of it. : )

manderlyh #111641 Aug 16th, 2007 at 01:11 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
We anxiously await the pic. In the mean time, squeeze one of those spots. Is there a bit of greenish goo inside? If so, you've got mealie bugs. If that's the case, you can search this site for advice on how to control them. They are a common problem with certain plants, and if you are unfamiliar with them it can be hard to recognize them as bugs (until you squish 'em!), but they are controlable. Good luck.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
margaret e. pell #115533 Aug 21st, 2007 at 09:09 AM
Are the leaves naturally 'furry' in any way? Things like tuberous begonias, purple passion, and even wandering jew don't like to get their leaves wet. It sounds to me like powdery mildew, especially if it started near the bottom where the leaves are most likely to get wet when watering. You can get a fungicide and try that, or just snip off the affected leaves (with sterile scissors). If they have turned brown they won't come back anyway. Then just be careful to not get the leaves wet when watering. Those little hairs hold the water longer than they should and it results in problems for the plant.
Good luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image