Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#107692 Aug 11th, 2007 at 08:09 AM
OP Offline
I've had a jade bonsai, 8 yrs old supposedly, for about 5 mos - not the normal looking jade plant that is prevalent - much smaller, more round, thin leaves - bonsai had several branches and plenty of leaves at beginning. Told to water once a week - did fine for first few months - took in to nursery 1 1/2 mos ago because had been losing leaves - in 2 inch deep pot, 6" x 4", atop dresser in good light. Told was underwatering - said to water twice/week which I did, continued to lose most leaves - many branches, especially the tiny ones dried up looking. Called nursery, told still underwatering, immersed the pot up to the trunk line, took out of water and set back on dresser. Continued to drop rest of leaves - since that time (last 2 weeks) have tried to dry out thinking that was told bad advice on the watering - also clipped back most of branches, many to close to trunk, inside of most branches are brown and totally dry.

Any hope here?

peppermint #108010 Aug 11th, 2007 at 08:56 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i've never had a jade as a bonsai. the usual watering schedule for bonsai is once a week and you're supposed to set the container in the sink or a bigger pot and immerse the whole thing in water - up to the base of the trunk. let it sit in the water for about an hour (for a 4 x 6 pot) and then take it out of the water and let it drain until no more water comes out.

jades are succulents and don't usually need to be watered as often as some other plants (they tend to start to form rot if they are kept too moist). i don't know if a bonsai jade would be treated differently than a regular one or not.

you say the parts that you cut off are dry/brown inside. i'd say those parts are definitely done. as for the main base, it may or may not be salvagable.

how does it feel when you gently squeeze it? the same as the dried branches? or does it have some 'give' to it? you could try cutting back one of the branches a bit more and looking to see if the inside (that's still on the main base) is moist or dry inside. if it's moist, then i'd try to work with it and salvage it.

could you post some pics? seeing what it looks like might help.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #108976 Aug 13th, 2007 at 11:47 AM
I Don't know if I'm doing this right....buuut here goes.
I have a jade and was watering once a week. Heavy rains blue in on the jade which is on my screened in porch. I was told that Jade is a cactus-like plant and does not like alot of water.
Plant looked o.k.....BUT....To spray for bugs, I mixed 1 gal. of water 1 cup of dish soap and 1 cup of cooking oil. Was given this recipe by a gardner. I sprayed the jade and the bottom just fell out! 50% of the leaves fell off the jade...the hanging moss lost all of the petal-like leaves.My spider plant is massively scorched and the new cuttings of Basil are here no more.
I am new to plants and caring for them. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong?..and more importantly...what, if anything, can I do to fix this mess.
I appreciate your time, any and all responses.

Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Don't we FRY with cooking oil? Maybe, after the sun came out they got cooked??! touched grin
I use the water and dish soap to wash my plants, leaf by leaf, then fine spray the soap off (over the tub!).
Really don't know how to fix it...trim well and repot? why

I know I'm not much help, but had to post because I found your log-on
name intriguing!! notme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #109017 Aug 13th, 2007 at 12:17 PM
Yeah...I know..I know..Cooking oil, especially with the dishsoap mix seemed..well...a LITTLE hokie, but HEY, I'm a rookie here in the growing of beautiful plants. boohoo
All I know is..I've got a real mess on my hands. If I need to have the proverbial fork stuck in then I'll do like u say. Prune 'em back and re-pot. Just want to make sure I'm not taking two steps back and then six steps back and then down a long flight of stairs..Thanks for finding the name.... zoink intriguing..???

Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Seriously, cutting them back and repotting is what I would do if they were mine.

Couldn't resist about the name grin
Everyone who knows me on here would expect such a reply! lol
Looking at your Profile you didn't fill in anything so I coul be wrong about the gender even!!! lol rolz I've done that before too, ask just about anyone who goes to the Coffehouse or Game Room!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image