Print Thread
Rate Thread
#107731 Aug 11th, 2007 at 10:10 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
I have a few small Impatiens which I grew this spring from seed.
I see that the blooms have a tiny green bead at their center.
When the petals fall off, this green nub is left at the end of the flower stem.
Is this it's seed pod??
How and when do I harvest the seeds?

Should I leave the pod and stem alone until it dries?
Do I pick the green pod off, and let it dry separate?
Or do I open the green pod, releasing the seeds and then let them dry?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
I really would like some help with this.
My petals are falling off, now, so what am I suppose to do?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I'll PM TK for you. She the Queen of saving seeds.

Hi Shirley,
Hope someone else knows the answer to this too! I have lots of pretty pink impatiens but I have never been able to find the seed pods to save either and frost is only a few weeks away so I have a very short window of opportunity left. nervous

Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
The only place I have seen is that little green bud in the center of the bloom, which is left there when the petals fall off. Don't you think that might be it? I just don't know what to do with it. why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Hey Shirley4,

Ok I talked to a friend who has been saving those seeds for years!! We swap seeds every year and I never knew she saved them! Anyway she says that yes that little green bud is the seed pod but it will burst if you try to touch it. She puts a little baggy over it first and then pops it into the bag.

The seeds are initially white but will darken when they are dry. So she says don't seal the bag until the seeds are dry or they will mould. It is too dark to try it out tonight but I will try mine tomorrow and see if it works.

Makes sense to me, because I have been looking for little dry pods or something and obviously they don't do that so that's why I have never found any seeds!

Let me know if yours works too!

D Offline
I had 2 little impatient plants and they looked so pretty that I bought a box of seeds and started growing some in a pot. Im glad I found this posting cuz now I will look for the seed pods after the flowering. Thanks

D Offline
I had 2 little impatient plants and they looked so pretty that I bought a box of seeds and started growing some in a pot. Im glad I found this posting cuz now I will look for the seed pods after the flowering. Thanks

Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Originally Posted by JustForMaellin
Hey Shirley4,

Ok I talked to a friend who has been saving those seeds for years!! We swap seeds every year and I never knew she saved them! Anyway she says that yes that little green bud is the seed pod but it will burst if you try to touch it. She puts a little baggy over it first and then pops it into the bag.

The seeds are initially white but will darken when they are dry. So she says don't seal the bag until the seeds are dry or they will mould. It is too dark to try it out tonight but I will try mine tomorrow and see if it works.

Makes sense to me, because I have been looking for little dry pods or something and obviously they don't do that so that's why I have never found any seeds!

Let me know if yours works too!

Thank you so much!!!!! And thank your friend too!!!
Yes, I will post right here if that works for me (even if I have to resurrect this topic from the dead...of back pages...!)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
D #108798 Aug 13th, 2007 at 09:24 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Originally Posted by D

Glad this topic was a help to your too! thumbup Love my Impatiens!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Hey Shirley4,

I have been having a go at those impatiens seeds. I think I am picking them too soon. I have only one that I picked, it didn't burst when I picked it but it did a couple of days later - this is what it looked like when it burst.

[Linked Image]

Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
When the petals or the whole flower fell of mine I put the bud into a little ziplock baggie. I have four baggies, each labeled the color of the flower.

I've noticed that they dried in there just fine. I haven't touched on yet to see if it pops open. Actually I was waiting to see if they will on their own.
This will be interesting.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
My first picture up there wasn't very good and I wanted to share these with you that I took the other day. I LOVE my Impatiens!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
5k Posts
5k Posts
wow! i was wondering this! thank you shirls n justfor maellin!!!
i have impatiens all around my pond, i buy the flats every year, but would love to try growing my own from seeds! now i can!

[Linked Image]
Hey there Shirley4,
How'd you make out with the seeds? I managed to gather about 6 pods of seeds from my coral coloured ones but the Norweigan impatiens didn't work out so well. I have taken cuttings from them as they don't seem to produce pods that I can find!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image