Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
idea

Ok not sure what has happened here, any ideas? I was growing Amarantus, purple upright spikey, and love lies bleeding these plants were all grown from my love lies bleeding seeds from last season and the plants down in front grew up with them? They have the large elephant trunk look! Have they cross pollinated on me?? I do love the look of them but how do I keep the seeds true?

[Linked Image]

Very cool. I figure the only thing you can do is just grow out the seed you save from them, I'd plant it in a different spot to make sure they are from the saved seed. I would love to help you grow them out grin notme if you do decide to save seeds from it. I love the look as well and it's not like I am addicted to them, but I did buy 5 diferrent varieties of them last year planted 2 types fairly close, I'm now hoping maybe I'll get some sort of cross. grin

Nuria
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I think you have 2 different plants there. Armanthus and celosia is the taller straightet one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
OP Offline
Really? That would be really cool because I have never knowingly planted celosia and the tall straight plant actually grew from a truckload of the black gold I got fr Mom's sheep farm - so I didn't save any seed there because I figured it would come back on its own!! The love lies bleeding I did plant and the purple elephanty things grew out of the seed I saved from last years plants.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love them all, no matter where they came from, but is the love lies bleeding the lighter colored leaf? And what is the umbrella looking plant next to it in the second photo? It looks very familiar and interesting!

Julianne
OP Offline
I do love the plants but I am trying to organize them to come up in beds together because I am such a sap for plants I simply hate to weed them out and as you can see by their height it gets to be quite a jungle out there!!

Yes the lighter leaf plants are the Love lies Bleeding and the large 10 leaf plants are my Red Castor Beans from my 2006 garden.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Holy mooo

Your a Sap?????????? from what tree?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Sugar Maple of course!! grin

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
teach

Then you do have your day.......
In the spring,... clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
That isn't celosia...you were right,it's a type of amaranthus. I have been growing it for several years now. It reseeds like crazy. Here's a pic of mine.

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/alankhart/?action=view&current=DSCF1879.jpg

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Well then, it is as it should be. After a long, cold Canadian winter spring is really where its at here!!! :wink:

OP Offline
WOW!!!!
Those are stunning and gorgeous! They look so feathery and soft, mine look so heavy.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
nooo

You might be right .i might be right.

One of mine is not that ????

What did I say?????//// neenee

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Is love lies bleeding usually started from seed? I absolutely love the photos of yours and am thinking ahead. It's just one cool plant.

Julianne
OP Offline
That's how I started mine, from seed.
Now they are coming up all over the place though because the birds eat the seed all winter and spread them around!! egad

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Yes.............

seeds..........

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image