Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
acelady Offline OP
OP Offline
i have some peach seeds and a pear seed from some fruit i bought. I want to grow a peach tree and pear tree from these seeds can i do it and how do I do it.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I'm not "exactly" sure but I wouldn't think it's too hard....I have 3 peach trees in my yard now beccause of my dads mature peach tree....every year tons of new baby peach trees grow all over his yard thanks to it dropping it's peaches. Might be good to grow them in a big container outside where they can get water until they grow to a decent size of at least a foot tall......

Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
You might want to be careful with seeds from store-bought fruit... they [store bought fruit] is sometimes treated to last longer on the rack in the store, and to maintain flavor. Hybrid, that's the word I'm looking for. store bought fruit isn't always the best to plant. You can give it a try, though, or try to find seeds, or fruit meant for saving seeds, or untreated fruit.

thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
or get your fruit from a farmer's market or organic section of the store.

2k Posts
2k Posts
you will want to remove the outer pit to get to the seed of the peach.My peach tree died& all those seeds I shared never thought to SAVE any for myself(Loz.did I hear you'd send some into fall fling?))I've used some of the wood to cook some chicken and it was tastey.They need a chill period below 41 for so long60-120 days.You may get one this spring or the following spring.Winter sow:Stick it in a pot to grow like a 2 qt pot stick it 2-3 inches below the soil. not every pit will germinate.Your best luck would be to sow in a ziplock bag..in the fridge.(most fridges are 35-42 degrees) this will be for like 2-3 months or longer. till it sprouts.When the root starts to emerge...when its at least 1/2 long or longer you can transplant to a container. If the pits are dry when you get them.SOAK soak them overnight or 2 days.It will aid in germination.And I imagine a pit fresh out of the peach would respond well for sprouting.I can't get pits cause the squirll beats me to them.I thought i dug a seedling last fall...and was a viburnuim.(I'm still thrilled,but wanted the peach...and know I'll get it right this time....cause the peach seeedling is the one left...ha HA I bet he dug it& planted it for me!)

Pear trees can be grown the same...apples,cherrys,apricots.I'm actually thinking of trying some of my neighbors pear tree seeds.she has 2 growing.Alot of trees are grafted onto apple& pear tree seedlings.running some searches should get lots of info.Pear tree branches are suppose to root easily over winter stuck in pots with the rooting ends dipped in 3 inches of rooting hormone.
Good luck!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
If you are doing it for experimental reasons then fine, but a word of warning -your fruit will not come out true to the cultivar it is, Fruits trees started by seed/pits will revert to one of its parent cultivar, meaning most fruit you buy in the store are some form of hybrid that comes from cross breeding with other type fruits. Usally the results are disapointing fruit taste wise. They also take at least twice the time to grow, and bear fruit. You could end up waiting up to 10 years to find out your fruit ends up tasting bitter/bad or small fruit. Fruit trees that are sold in shops, are grafted to a rootstock so that it is true to cultivar. It also controls tree height and size. Grafting involves taking a scion branch from a desired cultivar,and joining it to a rootsock (usally quince for pears, and lowel for peaches) You get full size fruit in much shorter time and it is what the label states it is. Very few common cultivars will come out true to form from seeds.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image