Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#107790 Aug 11th, 2007 at 12:48 PM
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone! My compost bins are over flowing w/kitchen waste (peels, rinds, cores, etc) & grass clippings. I *never* thought we'd have enough waste to fill 2 bins. I've not been very good about turning; our Boys are keeping me very busy. I can't just keep putting up another bin each time the 1st, 2nd, etc fill up. I now *can not* throw away any kind of waste that can go into the compost pile... my gardening brain won't let me.

What are the best brands of lid-locking garbage cans to use for the "rolling" compost bins? Is there such a thing? Or does someone have a trick up their sleeves in keeping lids on while rolling "regular" garbage cans? I figured you all would know, if anyone would. I have a feeling I'll have a better chance of rolling the compost to be, than I will turning it weekly.

The other thing... I've got flies, flies & more flies around the compost pile. Is this normal? If not, is it good? If not, what to do to rid our compost piles of these little maggot-laying bugs?

NuSkewl #107802 Aug 11th, 2007 at 01:11 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ok, first things first. the bugs help compost the compost. but, too much of a good thing means you don't have enough "brown" which can be dried leaves, shredded paper, etc. dry stuff.

as for a trashcan with a locking lid, i didn't even think about this earlier, but you know, there used to be a rubber made brand that had handles that flipped up to lock the lid on. it was heavy duty plastic and you could punch holes in it ( you need air flow) and turn it on it's side to roll around.

alternately, you could use bungee cords to lock a lid on one too. just ideas for you!

#107999 Aug 11th, 2007 at 08:38 PM
What is the best percentages of stuff to add to make up good compost? Just wondering...

Johnna in Oklahoma
Johnna #108017 Aug 11th, 2007 at 09:10 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Nicki is soo cute. How old is she?

My compost is pretty good. I know there are certain measurements but I'm not sure how you can adhere to them unless you have several bins. I have one bin. I put in some green, some brown, and stuff from the kitchen. I've found the main thing to make mine look rich and brown is to keep it turned. My question is where do the worms come from? Do they crawl into the pile? But from where and how do they know the compost is there?

NuSkewl #108055 Aug 11th, 2007 at 10:29 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by NuSkewl
Or does someone have a trick up their sleeves in keeping lids on while rolling "regular" garbage cans? I figured you all would know, if anyone would. I have a feeling I'll have a better chance of rolling the compost to be, than I will turning it weekly.

The other thing... I've got flies, flies & more flies around the compost pile. Is this normal? If not, is it good? If not, what to do to rid our compost piles of these little maggot-laying bugs?

Nu Skew ~ People use different ratios most people use ... 25 green to 75 Brown
while others use 30 green to 70 brown
IF you have flies and gnats you have too much green you need to put more brown( leaves, shredded newspaper( NOT glossey ads) Paper towels( NOT printed colored ones) shredded envelopes.
I also Use a 55 gallon Rubbermaid Trashcan on wheel that has a lid, and Like Jiffy said above I poked holes in the sides and Bottom so it can "Breath" and then set it up on bricks so air can flow under it as well.. I also Buy a cubic foot of Packed peatmoss and throw some in everytime I put a lot of Kitchen waste in there!, Don't forget your coffegrinds and eggshell!! I bag up leaves every fall so I can be sure to have some for the summer to add,,
Any way using the Trashcan can be a bit tricky to turn the compost when it need done . When it gets half full IT becomes a bit of a challange and a bit heavy But I just shovel out some into a wheelbarrow so I can turn the bottom then put back in what I took out as that is already turned and add some more the next time I turn is about 8-9 days later and I take it all out and turn it! when it gets 2/3 full I start another Trashcan,, So I always have two going.. Using this method I have found I can have great compost in 6 -8 weeks , I went to a resturant supply store and Bought a deep fryer Round basket that I use to sift it with right into the wheel barrow ( saving all the larger "clumps " to be the start of another compost pile. . This method works for me, Being in TX and the weather temps Decent most of the years the compost 'Cooks" fairly quickly here. I experimented with a regular rubbermaid tub with a lid this past winter to see what would happen , I filled it with 25 green to 75 brown + some coconut fiber I had and some peat moss and only turn it twice and then just let it sit for 3 months! man That was the richest darkest compost too!! BUt this tub was light enought for me to carry so that says is wasn't alot maybe 20 lbs or so BUT still Now I know I can do that when I get older rolz thumbup I can still compost with no help!!
I hope this has helped you in some way,,
I was afraid of rodents BUt It never happened,, Just remember When you see lots of gnats and flies there is not enough Brown for the the amount of Green you have!! Oh A Hint I would Pour Dwights Unfinished Beers in there too , and my tea, and coffee . Layer the green THEN the brown on top wait a couple of days maybe two then turn it and let it sit untill you decide you want to turn again/

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
NuSkewl #108335 Aug 12th, 2007 at 12:51 PM
I don't save the garbage as compost. My soil is so BAD that to plant anything I have to replace the soil, so I bury my kitchen garbage in the bottom of my plant hole.
During the winter or when I am not planting I dig a hole in our raised veggie garden and bury the kitchen garbage where the worms can find it. This spring I put kitchen garbage under each tomato and bell pepper plant and I've had some whopper fruit.

You might just try to bury it somewhere as you collect it. It will transform out of sight and smell.

JeanieT
NuSkewl #108501 Aug 12th, 2007 at 04:57 PM
I just had my first bad experience in 10 years with my composter. It was STINGING reminder that turning the compost on a regular basis is a must! We have been painfully dry this summer and I had rec'd a second composter in the spring so I totally neglected the first one. Finally deciding that I had better move into gear before the snows come I attacked it.

The yellow jackets who had set up housekeeping fought back. I was totally spared with only one nasty bite, in my finger joint on my right hand, and the swelling is still obvious this 5 days later! tears but it could have been much worse...there were hundreds of them!!! zoink

I have learned my lesson, composters will be turned or I will simply do what was also suggested and bury it in an unused portion of the yard. teach

NuSkewl #110202 Aug 14th, 2007 at 07:29 PM
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for all the advise!! Yes, I've neglected putting in more brown (dried moldy straw) material. That'll be my job tomorrow after the boys are asleep.

I've never heard about burying waste right into the soil. Hmmm.... I don't know where I'd do that... I've got mostly flowerbeds w/flowers already in them.

& OOOOooooo! I've got to turn these 2 bin so I don't get those bees/wasps in there.

NOTE TO SELF: grind up the straw! It'll be easier to store & less of a hassle to turn!

NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
So... I finally turned the piles thumbup (NO BEES or little 4-legged creatures). There's actually some "black gold" (I think) @ the bottom of the 1st compost pile!! I also divided the 2 "wire" piles & put some into the new black plastic, 1/4" hole-drilled, lid-locking garbage cans. Now I'm looking ahead a bit to the cold months. I may have to dry more of my wet/moldy straw before the weather turns cold. Just trying to figure out how much/many of the 4 bales I need to dry & store to last the winter (basically Nov-Feb).

My *next* composting scenario/question(s):

I intend to throw all veggie/fruit/egg shell/coffee filter (not bleached) + coffee scraps into the pile all year long. Here in Columbus, OH, we get some snow, but not much (& it certainly doesn't stay around for more than 4 days) & I'm guessing I might be able to turn the pile(???). It does gets cold, but only below the freezing once in a while & not for long periods of time.

What happens w/composting in zone 5 through the winter?

Is the brown-to-green ratio the same all year round?

Do I still have to turn it? Will that help the decomposition in the cold months?

Thanks a bunch everyone!!

Happy Composting! Happy Gardening! Cheers!! shots

bopNOTE TO SELF ([u]AGAIN)[/u]: grind up the straw! It'll be MUCH easier to store & less of a hassle to turn! touched

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
the ratio has to do with the smell mostly so it really doesn't change all that much.

I can turn my pile all year long but without the green it doesn't really heat up.

If your throwing food in yours maybe it will stay hot.

[Linked Image]
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
tkhooper said:
"the ratio has to do with the smell mostly so it really doesn't change all that much.

I can turn my pile all year long but without the green it doesn't really heat up. If your throwing food in yours maybe it will stay hot.
"

Ha HA! I thought the ratio of green to brown had to do w/how it broke down! That's not it @ all! I'm such a silly girl. lol Well, I'm going to try composting all year 'round. I'm going to dry more straw (my "brown") here before the cold weather settles in (so I've got plenty for the cold months) & hopefully borrow someone's "shredder" to make the straw more compact & easier to store.

Thanks for the advise! wavy

Last edited by NuSkewl; Sep 11th, 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image