Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#107097 Aug 10th, 2007 at 10:49 AM
cljake Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi!

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask your opinions on a fence we would like to cover.

We have an 80+ foot chain link fence that we would like to cover for added privacy and color. I would like a flowering vine or something that will give us some color in the yard. A fast grower would be a benefit since we really would like to block some of the neighbors view directly into our home. I was thinking about a climbing rose (Zephirine Drouhin Antique Climber or Cecile Brunner Antique Climbing or another climbing roses.) I've considered Morning Glories as well but I don't have any experience with them.

We are in North San Diego County (zone 9). The area is a hill with the fence sitting at the highest part of the yard so there are great views down into our house. The area has a few citrus trees. We lost a lemon, tangerine and avocado tree last year due to the signicant cold/frost (very uncommon for Southern Ca)and we are trying to get some St Augustine grass to take over the main part of the yard. Oh, one part I should mention, we have 2 small kids and also 3 dogs (1 is a 5 month old puppy)

I welcome all suggestions and education.

Thank you.

Catherine
cljake #107117 Aug 10th, 2007 at 11:12 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Hi and welcome from another Californian. My choice would hands-down be the perennial morning glories. They are not nearly as temperamental as the roses. Or if roses are a must, go with lady banks. They are thornless (nearly) and cover well.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #107138 Aug 10th, 2007 at 11:22 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm going to add here. Both of these choices are better than your climbing roses. They are evergreen, fast thick cover. And the thorn thing is better with kids and pets. And the kids' toys, like beach balls deflating, etc. Also, even if you don't cut standard climbing roses back, they tend to thin in winter and lose most of their screening effects.
If it is a four foot fence, you can add a taller trellis at strategic points to raise the screen. You could also mix these two plants, alternate for a color options.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #107206 Aug 10th, 2007 at 01:53 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Hi, Catherine.
I'm in Oceanside.
A friend of mine in Encinitas has a gorgeous Cecil Brunner climbing her patio.
I'd vote for that one !

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image