Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#99342 Jul 28th, 2007 at 09:00 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Njoynit Your Brugs are awesome!!!!!!!!!!! My carrion has been blooming too!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
2k Posts
2k Posts
I hope to see more flowers on my carrion.The duck ate Debras starts.

Here are blooms& I'll add the ones from the last post as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A trio of blooms in 3 day stages on unknown pink.
seedling pink whiskers X butterfly with blooms
Charles G flower
Daydreams buds twisted
Frosty pink
Charles G
seedling pink whiskers X butterfly cross original plant with 1st bloom.

and my bolero X GQ I'm trialing.I'm told will be cream colored blooms.double:D

and added daydreams buds again so can see how much they grow in 5 days.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Niccccccce Njoynit!!!!

I saw these four buds on the Unnamed pink this morning That you sent me a cutting of!! Yipeeeee Four buds!!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
flwrnjoynit there sooo pretty!
wow diane more buds n bloms for you! didnt you just start brugs this year? or got the cuttings last year in fall/winter? looks like your a natural thumbup

[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
Diane,You WILL notice that one in bloom in your yard.It smells strong.Unknown pink has 18 blooms open are 27 on frosty pink.I DID go count...3 times...lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The 1st three shots are of Dr suess,the last 2 are of charles.He still seems pale& has not turned darker yet but his edges are browing and we;re browning before they opened.charles is shaded more cause in sun wilts& read others in Fl still got blooms in bright shade.The other charles that bloomed in April..still looks good has shot a branch out of center of 'y' I'm intrested to see what THAT does.no buds and bet them flowering 'y's have grown 2 ft.least he smells good when he decides to bloom for me.
Sibyl Dianes plant has been in ground since April& it took off when hit earth.our soil warms faster down south than up north.plus she got me beat rainwise.water helps alot growth wise(distributes niutrients?)How tall are yours now?most will 'y' at 3-6 ft.your above 'y' cuts are proably growing good.

looks good diane.so which all ones you growing?I'm thinking of putting creamsickle in a container& cypress gardens too cause he's buried in the purple basil.(along with oklahoma rose...which is in bloom...burried in purple basil)

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I took pics of my brugs but forgot my camera at home! rolz I will bring it tomorrow! I do have buds Christy! I was so excited when I noticed them! Only on one plant though. 3 of them got spider mites really bad and I sprayed them and it killed all the leaves. shock Will they grow new leaves?

2k Posts
2k Posts
yes the leaves will grow back.What did you use on them?I use safers insectisidal spray.you want to spray after the sun goes down.I have to watch humidity so if too humid I'll use goldbonds medicated foot powder& can say it snowed!MIL sprayed wrong time,but she knows now.she said in Indpls it didn't do that....I agreed(though never knew WHAT a brug was when lived there...)the sun is what makes it burn the foliage& if too humid it dries too slow and will burn foliage.I've also sprayed some flying insect spray raid blue can(indoors in winter.thats my fumigation method..pull shirt over nose<asthma..stand back 2 ft.spray in short bursts let mist fall over plants.remove self to fresh air.I hate aresol cans..ANY aresol can)I've removed leaves then sprayed.starve the buggers..lol

[Linked Image]

back of brug bed area.I'm thinking of relocateing the big banana tree.its hardy basjo,but is formng lots of pups.I'll uproot it this fall and grow in gameroom and replant come spring.Its leaves get in my way.my brugs are spreading<out>

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Christy I did root and plant them in last fall and grew in the house over the winter so YEP this is my first year for them!! They seem to really like fish emulsion!

I am growing Unnamed Pink, pale yellow, C. Grimaldi, pink beauty, cotton candy , and snowcone .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
ok.I got that down Diane.
Christy.I've heard some say they grow better and faster the 1st year in pots.But mine are useually only in pots for about 5 months.Then are in ground.My well composted holes are growing better than the ones barely done.I fertilize them weekly and sometimes twice weekly.I'm better about fertilizeing them while in bud.Then I'm haveing to watch my fertilizer in 2 beds the red/white/blue section,I try to water only the brug and some runoff gets the cleome& red zinnias.I try to keep away from the JMG asugo blue white edge.it has enough foliage& I'm glad it can take water and still bloom.

I didn't get a picture of Dr Suess last night cause when Matt used camera he touched a button that I don't know about.I JUST got my flash back this morning.I'm looking for my book so can see what these other symbols are so can fix them.
my mower has died& my grass is growing.

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I will have to look at the spray that I used. I did it early in the morning before it was too hot and they get shade at that time. But, I really soaked them with it because the spider mites were really bad. They were all piled up at the tips of the leaves. It was gross! Hopefully they will grow new leaves. I finally got the pics of my ones that are doing well and will post them in a bit. One has 4 buds right now and I noticed a bud on the other one yesterday.

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
flowers/100_0393.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

These buds are on the plant above.
flowers/100_0395.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

And these too...
flowers/100_0394.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I took pics of these last week and the buds have gotten quite a bit bigger on that first plant. I will take more when they bloom. Can you see the buds in those pics?

Last edited by plantqueen; Aug 1st, 2007 at 10:10 AM.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I noticed a bud on this one yesterday. It is just small though.
flowers/100_0396.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Look at how brown our grass is! It is so dry here. They say that we should get some this weekend though. Hopefully we do!

Last edited by plantqueen; Aug 1st, 2007 at 10:11 AM.
2k Posts
2k Posts
Those look good

Daydreams still twistingAND we have got a crack at bottom!

[Linked Image]

My Bolero X GQ seedling I'm trialing.Just look at those leaves!
[Linked Image]

Dr Suess.
[Linked Image]
Charles G with newgrowth from center of 'Y'.Thats Arizona rose& 4 pms blooming.
[Linked Image]

Our downpours this morning knocked a very small newly formed bud off versicolor peach or maybe its orange.I'm afriad to reach in bed to chgeck how tag is holding up.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Jessica Yours are looking great!! Good for you!!!

The Charles G that bloomed a few days ago has even more buds on it!! and so does the unnamed Pink!! I sooo wish The cotton candy and snowcone would bud up!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
my bud was lost on versicolor orange.I used objects to look for my tag in ground...least IT didn't fade.(wow colored pencil orange too...my wax pencil I guess have melted off the tags)Its about 4 ft.I really wish jean pasko would 'y' Its as tall as last year now.

so how tall are snowcone& cottoncandy?Least you don't have a stubborn brug like charles thats NOT bloomed or budded since April...but grows.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Snowcone and cottoncandy are about 2 1/2 ft But has multiple y's ~Keeping fingers crossed here!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Are 'burgs' the same as Angel Trumpets? If so, I have one that's only a foot tall. No buds yet. Came from my BFF who's is 12'! We each got a Devil's Trumpet at the university botanical sale last year. Absoutely beautiful dark purple flowers with even darker stems. Sad to say it didn't make it through the winter. That was one cool plant!

Julianne
2k Posts
2k Posts
I felt my buds up today,they are halfway down so ummm maybe near end of week flwrwill get a bloom.Will be my 1st double.And have buds on my others forming(yeah thumbup...give me birthday blooms...that would be like SWEET!)Monika & Pink Perfection& think Butterfly.I'm looking for my plant sheet to show where planted what.I learned wax pencil melts off markers in TX.colored pencil works though ;)

on another note....my white dauntra has 3 buds.and its HOT out!Someone shut the furnace off!

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
What are you feeling for in the buds njoynit? One of my buds is pretty good sized and I thought it would be opening soon but hasn't happened yet.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
These should be opening in the next couple of days There are a lot more buds now too!

Charles Grimaldi

[Linked Image]

Unnamed pink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
I'm feeling trying to see if a double bloom feels thicker than the single blooms.If I wait till the sun is just right outside.....I can see the bloom comeing down inside the bud.And YES it does feel thicker noticeably.The weird thing is my knightti is suppose to be a double(though only bloomed singles for me)I wish brugs had that DVR recorder feature...FAST FORWARD.Now this morning.the buds have changed postion.and so far no more dropped buds the newer buds are holding. The heat blast the other day made my flowers dry& fall off or cling to parts of plant.so tomorrow the remaining buds will start blooming again.

I also transplanted my seedlings I'm growing out.I only transplanted the ones with tags.Dog played with tray& dumped it in flowerbed.so the ones that had no tags that we're lined up with what they we're with tagged plants.........are now noid's.I also transplanted up most of the pieces of brugs from accidents.

Looking good diane!

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I went home and felt mine on Friday and could feel what you were talking about njoynit. One of mine should be opening soon I think. The one that had the buds first now has 10 buds on it and the other has 3 so far. Can't wait for them to open!

5k Posts
5k Posts
clapthats awsome jess! you got bud! clap
all your pics look great!
i still dont have buds but their growing good! one is realy getting tall!
ill keep checking for buds,

[Linked Image]
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
They pop up quick Christy! I spotted one and it seems like every time I look at them I have more. I probably just missed them the first time but all of sudden they were there!

2k Posts
2k Posts
overnight progress.the 1stis shot this morning.The other two are shot yesterday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bolero X GQ yesterday

[Linked Image]

Jamicia Yellow.waiting on buds.I gave it a ton of water yesterday.about 2 hours worth.
[Linked Image]

unknown pink will give me some smells tonight.I can seem to keep them pinks from blooming.frosty will join tomorrow.And I missed an Epi flower last night on strictum.I found it this morning...finished.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
njoynit, you are in about the same zone as me. do your brugs overwinter ok outside?

2k Posts
2k Posts
jiffy.Most of mine winter in the ground,cut back to ground,mulched.I think you are not as mild wintered as me,but with added mulch and the bucket system I use.YES you can winter in the ground.(look back through brug posts to april.Is video of the snow event...and the multiple sized cans,containers blankets over brugs with ladders)I do cuttings over the winter too and keep back ups always just in case.I had a seedling pot that was in 2 qt pot.I let it winter outside,but was in garage (so more less cold GH)that you can do,the plant still has some protection and is 'out' of the weather.I just group some pots together cause they are even heavy to move with a dolly(25 gallon pots.I know I'm nuts)We are also wetter in winter most times,but they've done fine so far.

That tall one will proably be the 1st to bloom for you.keep it watered& fertilized so will grow alot seems anytime they reach 3-4 ft they can get ready to'Y' & bloom.

More shots.I know its neat huh!
yesterday evening
[Linked Image]

And this morning!
[Linked Image]

See you can see it slowly comeing out!Thats why I keep checkingNcheckingN checkingN checking....all day long.I gave it some compost yesterday.I was the fool in TX who decided at 3 pm yesterday.It was a good time to sift compost.I know i had to be sweating a gallon of sweat every 15 minutes.I watched sweat drop off head and water my banana plant! was 97 outside and the heat index it was there at 109(better than Houston....102 heat index of 117) Its suppose to be hot like this rest of week till friday.I hope this brug likes HEAT!

And my epi strictum bloomed& I caught it this time!

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Wow njoynit! You have many different types of brugs! I have been checking one of my brugs all the time because I think it is ready to bloom. Although I don't really know since this is the first time that I have had them but I felt them like you said and it seems full.

2k Posts
2k Posts
Here's another shot today.I just happened to notice in a 4 hour period...they we're poked out more.
[Linked Image]

and look now I can look for the inner skirt!
[Linked Image]

I can't wait for the bloom.....my 1st DOUBLE! clap

when the sun hits them you can see just how far down your flower has come.useually depending on weather& temps once it breaks out of clayx it will bloom in about 3 days.you'll also notice they change how they hang also.this daydreams has changed how it hangs too.Its a nodding type(which I like) why

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Fantastic Njoynit!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thank you so much. i do think you are a little milder than i, but not much. we don't get much cold here, maybe 2 weeks worth, and only hard freeze every couple of years.

2k Posts
2k Posts
Jiffy.Maybe our weather is close...I think we got 17 days below freezeing last season.Its never longer than 6 hours & we warm up real fast.I can still feel the sun in winter.can wear shorts most days by afternoon.

I really need to find my plant diagram.Its not daydreams its Monika.

MONIKA IS OUT!

Here's a bunch of pics.she smells good.I can still smell her this morning.

[Linked Image]

and
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Monika's buds took just over 2 weeks(dates on pictures).It is said the bloom will last up to 5 days.I'm sure my hot blast this week will change that.(I might employ my digital temp thing at plant today)Her inner skirt will drop tonight(or about 5ish) shots She has not been released.But she is named so she may be released within a year.I'll add more pics in the morning.These will just have to do you.

It was awesome last night.I watched my epi open up in front of my eyes at like 1 am or sometime anyway.Shame can't do video at night.I was takeing picture and flower on the other side just started releaseing its petals opening.it was really neat.Diane.when yours blooms you have GOT to go sit out there and watch this.take your grandson too.He'll talk to ya and keep you awake.(I did point out to my dog that it was blooming..I asked if it seen it open and he wagged his tail)

Last edited by njoynit; Aug 9th, 2007 at 07:41 AM.

2k Posts
2k Posts
ok.I don't know why it don't look right....but it does work.on the 1st picture.you click it..then the slideshow will work

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
One of my blooms is poking through now. I can't believe how much that grew in a day. Tonight I will take a pic of it. I bet it has grown even more. clap I am so excited!

2k Posts
2k Posts
yep.and the inner skirt is pushing out...looks like will stay on lighter pink side.heat not changeing it darker yet but inner skirt is coloring up.The back flower will open tonight and its coloring some on edges.when this one opens it opens greenish yellow to the pale pink.no white.was around 1 am before showed any pink to it.
yes sometimes the blooms will move out fast.I know your excited.I wonder hows Diane's?I just have to know how unknown pink smells for her(I had 2 open on unknown pink 1 on seedling& 4 on frosty.Monika seems to smell good will be able to tell for sure tonight& If have to...I'd hate it...but I'd rip unknown pinks flowers(2.no new tonight) off just to tell for sure.It does smell different than what I have.

2k Posts
2k Posts

2k Posts
2k Posts
and a 3rd skirt yet still........hmmmm
at 11:45 I could still smell this.So I put in some Alice Cooper.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
That is beautiful njoynit! I can't wait to smell mine now.

2k Posts
2k Posts
I've learned that Monika& Daydreams came from cross made from same seed pod.So are sisters.alot of double flowerd brugs will throw triple blooms too..Monika did not throw triples for Shirley,but did when Monika grew her in Germany in one flush.
I'm so happy....my wrinkles are relocated!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
YAY clap clap I'm sooooooooo happy for you Njoynit!! luv clap clap bop

The Charles are blooming 4 or 5 of them and the Unnamed pink are opening 3 of 9 budsn are anyway!! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image