Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#106594 Aug 9th, 2007 at 06:00 PM
OP Offline

I usually just read archives to solve my problems, but I cant find answers for this one... I have 7 diff kinds of peppers in my garden. First one plant started to slowly wilt, then death, then the one behind it started, then death, domino effect. No browning or yellowing. No spots. Looks like they do when they dry up (not dry). Its not discriminate towards a specific variety either. Ugh. Any thoughts? Fungus?

dirtythumbs #106622 Aug 9th, 2007 at 06:53 PM
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
:Wavy:

Could be a fungus, could be the soil[may not be good for peppers], could also be whatever plants may be near it, that's dominating the area[ie, a pine tree]
What's the area around your peppers like?

--Mark--

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
badplanter #106626 Aug 9th, 2007 at 06:58 PM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
could be root feeding nematodes.
If you pull it up once dead how do the roots look?
Is a neighbor using a weed killer that could be leeching into your pepper bed?
is the base of the plant 'chewed'?
If you cut it open are there any bugs in the stem?

Wrennie #106685 Aug 9th, 2007 at 07:41 PM
OP Offline

Checked the roots and stalk of the plant and doesnt seem like anything has been feasting on it. At first I thought bugs bec the first dying plant was closest to my yellow squashes which succumbed to a squash bug, but everything seems to be intact. The garden is in the middle of the yard, and the peppers are in the middle of the garden. Had nothing like this happen last year. Such woe. I have blight on toms, mildew on cukes, bugs in squash... all sorts of problems this season. Only fitting that something kills my peppers too.

dirtythumbs #106706 Aug 9th, 2007 at 07:56 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
Some of the wilts/blights that effect tomatoes also affect peppers. Also, if you don't have any yellowing of leaves, I might suspect overwatering. You might let on dry out, just to see what happens. I'm so sorry to hear about your peppers. All my toms are succombing to wilt of some unidentified nature and I've already had to yank my squash and cukes. I think it's been a bad year for a lot of us!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
dirtythumbs #106716 Aug 9th, 2007 at 08:11 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Symptom: Plants wilt and die, brown streaks inside root and lower stem shows when stem split lengthwise.

Probable cause: Verticillum wilt caused by soilborne fungus.

Avoid planting peppers where ground was previously planted with potatoes, tomatoes or cucurbits.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #106852 Aug 10th, 2007 at 04:54 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'm so sorry to see more people loosing crops. I lost the tomatoes this year. But I am happy to report that the peppers have recovered from the leaf spot they had early in the year. They are looking pretty healthy now. And I have lots of blooms at the moment. Only one pepper but there is hope.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #106979 Aug 10th, 2007 at 07:37 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I'm sorry hear about your problem dirtythumbs, it's tough when you see something like that happen.

Papito thanks for the info on not planting peppers where tomatoes have grown before. I do a lot of container gardening and raise my tomatoes and peppers in a greenhouse. This is my second year and so far my peppers are ok, but I'm sure I used a tomato container from last year to plant some of my peppers. I will definitely mark them this year to make sure this does not happen agin.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image