Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#105858 Aug 8th, 2007 at 04:51 PM
OP Offline
I change 50% of the water in my fish tank at least once a week...sometimes twice. I've been using the water for my outdoor flowers.

Does anyone know if it would be ok to use the water on my indoor houseplants as well? I'm worried about the possibility of mold, smell, & insects.

Thanks!

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it's great for houseplants. use it like you would normal water, as often as you would normal water. your plants will love you and you will save money one plant food. just don't feed them as often. (i use fish take water for my plants and don't feed at all, but i'm lazy)

#106236 Aug 9th, 2007 at 07:52 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I always use my fish tank water on my houseplants, and I've never smelled it, nor noticed any problems with the soil or insects. In the summer, if my houseplants don't need watering, I use it outdoors - either way, it's always used to feed plants! It's free fertilizer afterall...!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thank you both so much! My houseplants will thank you also!!

I haven't fed my houseplants either (maybe cheap & lazy in my case!).

You mean that you change your fishtank water at least once a week? 50% worth?
I'm new at plants and aquarium. I was told 50% over 6 months. That I needed to promote healthy bacteria and that changing water too much and too soon in between would kill the beneficial bacteria that would attack anf convert the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. How do you keep your ph level and no chlorine damage. Don't get me wrong, If your fish are healthy and happy then you're doing the right thing. I read how often and how much you change and just thought that was impossible. Maybe I was wrong.
One question for you. When you wash/rinse your filter bags, do you wash/rinse in the aquarium water you just removed from the tank or do you wash/rinse in cool tap water and then let drip dry?
Any assistance and/or advice you can render would be gratiously appreciated.

randymanorlando

Always wash in the water you just removed.

I grow live plants in my aquarium so I don't see any harm to non aquatic plants.

That is very cool.
I was thinking of trying that.
What kind of plants do you have in yours?
I've seen someone with pothos draping from their tank and it was beautifull!
The leaves did fine even when completely submereged too!

I have a borno sword,ferns banana plants and bambo along with some clover.And I have an onion looking plant but I don't know what it is.

I heard fish water is great for plants. Everytime I change mine I forget and dump it down the sink.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image