Print Thread
Rate Thread
#105609 Aug 8th, 2007 at 11:08 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Our entire street is lined with very large "town-planted" maple trees.
They are all very healthy, except for one on our neighbor's property right in the middle. Last week, it started to turn brown, and now all the leaves are dried out and falling off. There was no trauma to this tree that we know of - neither on the ground nor in the air. None of the trees has gotten any more water than any other. What do you suppose could be causing this condition on this one poor tree, and can we save it?

The tree on the right, is on our property, and is suffering a little because of the trench that was dug nearby to connect our house to the sewer system last fall. The trench was to the right of that, so it wouldn't have any impact on the middle tree's roots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This picture was taken through my bedroom screen window
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #105941 Aug 8th, 2007 at 07:18 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
there are many diseases that affect maples. sometimes they can be treated (successfully) and other times (depending on what exactly is the issue) there is no saving the tree..

the street i grew up on was lined with maples...they were all planted when the houses were built in the 40's. when i was around 10-12, they started to become diseased and, one by one, they had to be taken down. ours included.

it was such a shame as the street looked SO nice with a large maple in the front yard of every property - all the way up the street.

out of about 26 on the street - just the block section i lived in - there are now only 3 left.

i would suggest having the neighbor (or the city) remove that diseased tree ASAP - before the problem spreads to the others!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #106533 Aug 9th, 2007 at 03:20 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
The leaves may turn brown due to black spot or anthracnose. Leaf drop is a natural defense mechanism to protect the tree. I think the tree will recover. By this time, the leaves may have converted enough sunlight to sugar for the tree to survive until new leaves sprouts next spring.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #106597 Aug 9th, 2007 at 06:06 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
for the whole tree to go at once, i would think sometuing is affecting the roots.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image