Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#104246 Aug 6th, 2007 at 08:58 AM
OP Offline
Hi! I've never posted a question on a forum before so I hope I'm doing this right! I have a rubber plant that I received as a gift a couple of years ago. It seems to be doing fine...occasionally drops a lower leaf (moreso in the past few weeks). How do I know when it's time to repot the rubber plant? Can I move it to a pot alot larger than the one it's in now, or would that put it into shock or something? Also, is there any special type of soil/supplements that I should use when I do repot? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much!!!

popogeejo #104455 Aug 6th, 2007 at 01:53 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you can repot as long as you are willing for it to get bigger, or when the roots are filling the pot so much that you can't keep it watered (which is what it sounds like with the leaf drop). go up a couple of inches at most, and use a good quality potting soil like schultz or miracle gro. make sure the pot has drainage and you should be good to go.

#104803 Aug 7th, 2007 at 10:09 AM
OP Offline
Thanks! I've been watering it just once a week. Is that enough? I take the pot out of the wicker basket that it's in, put it in the sink & water it until water comes out the bottom, & then return it to the basket.

Is it better to repot into a plastic or a clay pot? Right now it's in the plastic pot that I received it in. It's in the middle of the kitchen table, but if I repot it it will have to be put on the floor. I have it on the north side of the house (I live in North Texas), in front of a window. It's never been outside as I'm kind of afraid of it getting insects or some type of disease.

popogeejo #105093 Aug 7th, 2007 at 05:51 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i have my rubber trees in those self-watering "plant spas" that you can get at walmart. it really sounds root bound. and like it needs a little more light, and some fresh soil.

i'd get a pot, just 2 inches larger (it is probably in the 6 or 8 inch pot from the florist, measure before you shop) and take it outside to repot. turn it on it's side, gently tap it out of it's pot, and look at the roots. i bet they are circling it.

if you can, pick at them gently just to free them up some, cut off the spiky ones with a clean sharp knife or shears.

then, put an inch or two of fresh soil in the bottom of the pot, put the plant in the center, add soil around the edges, you will want to "water the soil in" so that you get it "full". fill it to a couple of inches of the top. then water when it starts to dry.

sometimes, they need more water than others.

and, if you can move it to a north east or north west (or east) window so it gets just a bit more light, it should be very happy.

i've had them in west windows and they do fine. i've had them in full sun and they did fine. they just don't like to get frozen! lol (i've done that to them too!)

#105123 Aug 7th, 2007 at 06:05 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely do as you said!!

I've never heard of a self-watering "plant spa". I'll have to check them out the next time I go to Wal-Mart.

There's not too much chance of my rubber tree getting frozen in Texas! Maybe for a week or two in February!

Thanks again!!!

popogeejo #105131 Aug 7th, 2007 at 06:09 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
that is enough to kill it. i'm in south east ga, and we only have 2 weeks of "winter" and i've killed more than i care to admit in those 2 weeks lol

#105140 Aug 7th, 2007 at 06:23 PM
OP Offline
Wow! I think I'll just keep mine indoors!!

I read somewhere that the rubber tree won't flower indoors, but I just found out that a friend of mine has one indoors & hers flowers! Have yours ever flowered?

popogeejo #105143 Aug 7th, 2007 at 06:25 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
nope. they haven't. but i haven't kept them that long either. i usually end up giving them away when they get very big.

#105190 Aug 7th, 2007 at 07:03 PM
OP Offline
I love your sign on name by the way!

When I was little my Mom frequently called me by the name of the mouse on the Ed Sullivan show. I thought it was Popogeejo & I've used it for my sign on's. However, a couple of years ago I noticed in an ad for the Ed Sullivan show that the mouse's name was Topo Gigio! I haven't switched to it though! I'm too old to change now!!

popogeejo #105201 Aug 7th, 2007 at 07:10 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
lol

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image