Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#104731 Aug 7th, 2007 at 08:15 AM
OP Offline
Hi, I new here so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I've had a very good first batch of tommatoes, but in the last couple of weeks I've noticed that the new flowers are drying out and falling off. I still have a couple of smaller tomatoes growing, but in general I feel 75% of the flowers aren't going to end up w/ a tomato. I'm watering enough. I do have some what I think is called early bright on the bottom of the leaves, but I think its more due to the soils spashing on the leaves than any other disease. Please let me know if there is any common reason the flowers are dying. The tomatoes on the plants are growing fine, but flowers right next to them are drying right off.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Frenchy

5k Posts
5k Posts
It isn't unusual for the bottom leaves to fall off on tomatoes, especially indeterminate ones, at least not in my experience. When the soil splashes up onto the leaves it usually causes bacterial speck/spot/etc, which may be what you are seeing. It's always good to mulch tomatoes. Mulch helps to keep the soil consistantly moist (helps ward off BER) and also prevents (to a degree) soil-born problems.

I have noticed that if my tomatoes become stressed that the flowers do shrivel and fall off, much like you've described. Right now, I think part of it is the heat and humidity that suddenly exploded here in KS. I'm not sure what other factors may play in the flowers dying off. This is stretching past my knowledge here, but maybe it could be that the plant is already producing all of tomatoes that it can and must let the blooms die or possibly a deficiency in the soil of potash/potassium. I'm sure there are other causes too and I am not aware of them.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #105692 Aug 8th, 2007 at 11:46 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Sarah, I'm in the Boston area and its been hot and dry most of the summer. I just threw some ferterlizer down. I hope that may help. Maybe after I harvest some of the existing tomatoes some of the new flowers will sease dying.

I appreciate it. Frenchy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,861
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image