Print Thread
Rate Thread
#103558 Aug 5th, 2007 at 05:45 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Bad storm went through here, alot of damage. All my gardens are ruined. House is damaged. Truck is damaged. Hail fell larger then golf balls last night. Bad winds, totally discouraged today.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Oh no!

#103566 Aug 5th, 2007 at 06:06 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Just got a call, there was unconfirmed reports of a tornado in our area.

I'll be back in a bit, gonna check out the storm sites.

#103588 Aug 5th, 2007 at 06:45 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Tornado!
be very careful!

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, my vegetable garden is torn to bits. Most of my perennials and shrubs are tattered. My 5 in 1 apple tree was torn partially from the ground. Few trees knocked down.

Our truck has more dents than you could imagine, windshield is chipped up. My shed needs to be repainted because the hail stripped the paint right off.

The west side of my house needs a total siding replacement, the hail busted it all. Broke the seal in the window there. Broke through my eavestrough as well. A little roofing damage.

We had no power all day and night yesterday, lost most of the food in my fridge as well.

We had bad winds that damaged a few trees Friday but nothing like yesterday's storm. The sky was purple and you could see the clouds rotating.

The damage in the place is awful, there are people who had most of the windows broken in their houses, windshields smashed. Our truck is 10 years old but you should see the neighbours new car. Luckily I have a large shrub near the dining room window, the shrub took most of the beating.

I was so discouraged but I know there are some worst off than us.

#103697 Aug 5th, 2007 at 09:52 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Oh man Tamara, I'm so sorry. That's terrible that you have all that damage! It must've been really scary. I wish I lived nearby so I could help you clean up the damage. Hang in there, and hugs from me! kissie

#103701 Aug 5th, 2007 at 09:57 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
holy ..tamara! im glad you n your familys ok though,
im so sorry to hear this, kissie keep ya in my prayers n thoughts kissie

[Linked Image]
#103702 Aug 5th, 2007 at 09:59 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hey Tamara my prayers are with you to sustain your strength and faith through this trying time. Also my seeds are at your disposal. If there are any you need please just let me know.

Do you have insurance to cover all the damages? I can send a couple of dollars to help with the deductable if it's going to be a burden just let me know. I'll share anything I can to help.

[Linked Image]
#103716 Aug 5th, 2007 at 10:15 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
O Tamara, that is so bad sweetie, it makes me feel sick to my stomach,and its not even my place,wish there was something I could do for you. Dont get disheartened,and I know thats easy for me to say, a lot off the things can be replaced. We had a major flood here a few years back,I was in England when it happened, and Mo was here on his own, and had to clean it all up. My garden, my patio, my driveway, my front garden was completly gone, it was heart breaking, but we worked hard, and did what we could when we had the money.

Will your car insurance pay for the damage to your truck? Most off all thank God your safe. kissie tears

"All good things come to those that wait."
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I'm sos orry Tamara, I heard the the marinetimes took a beating and they were calling for a heavy strom jsut a few days ago on the weather network. The very least is that you're safe. We can help you rebuild your garden, just give us a holler!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
nervous Ohh Tamara I'm soooo sorry to read of your damage from the storms kissie It must have been very frightening for all of you including the animals. Prayers the insurance gives quick repairs. I'm Thanking God your family wasn't harmed physically! kissie

Are tornado's uncommon for your area? Mannnn this has been the freakiest weather this year for all of us!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
1k Posts
1k Posts
Oh Tamara I'm so sorry to hear all this. tears It's been a tough year for you as is with all the rain you had and now to get even the little that was growing wiped out, makes me feel like crying. tears

Would love to give you a hug and help you clean up. Our thoughts will be with you in the days ahead. kissie

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
ooooohhhhhh! shock

my heart goes out to you, i feel like it happened to me!!! tears

glad to hear your family is ok! were any of your animals hurt?

kissie

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
None of my animals were hurt, we have a shelter for them up in the field.

We have no house or property insurance, no repair insurance on the truck either. Which wouldn't matter because those who had insurance were told it was "an act of God" and they are not covered either.

Money wise we will be o.k., I put away our tax return from the spring for new windows this fall so we'll repair what we need and wait til the spring for the rest of the windows.

I got my yard cleaned up and estimate I lost only about $100 worth of plants and trees(fingers crossed the rest pull through). DH said we'd replace it all in the spring and for me not to worry.

I took a drive through our area, there are houses with no windows left in them, siding ripped off. DH's church lost 4 stained glass windows in the storm. Large trees toppled on roofs, cars. About 10 minutes from here there was a car sideways on top of a van. They are doing a tornado assessment now.

The farmers lost all of their grains and fields. Thankfully we had half of ours done last week and had lots leftover from last year, we have more than enough feed for our animals this winter but most farmers don't.

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts, it means the world to me. kissie

1k Posts
1k Posts
O sweetie, no insurance, but things will come together. I'am so glad your animals were okay, and things will work out for you, thank goodness you had a little money saved.

"All good things come to those that wait."
#104159 Aug 6th, 2007 at 05:55 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
OH Tamara: i don't know how i could of missed this yesterday. I am so sorry for you--It sounds like things for you are better than some in your area thought--so I am thanksful for that. it is also goof that you & your family is ok. Continued prayers for you all. At least it was this and if I can help with seeds or whatever--let me know--

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I'm so sorry to hear this Tamara! Happy to hear that nobody got hurt! You are in my thoughts! kissie

#104205 Aug 6th, 2007 at 08:27 AM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Sorry to hear about all this Tamara, glad you're okay though. Has it been confirmed that there was a tornado? Those things scare me silly, glad we don't get them here. Glad to hear that the animals didn't get hurt either. Take care and let us know if there is any way that any of us can help!

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
One tornado has been confirmed 150 miles from here, they are still investigating 3 more. Apparently we only have one team doing the investigations. They will be in the area by the end of the week to check things out.

#104708 Aug 7th, 2007 at 07:13 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
No Rita, I only have a few hundred dollars damage on the house we figure(we'll do the work ourselves). We were going to replace that window anyway this fall. The truck is going to stay as it is because we are not spending a couple thousand for dent repair and a paint job.

After seeing what some people have for damage, I am quite relieved for what I got. My uncles new jeep is trashed~no disaster insurance either. We hear and see more damage everyday.

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Are you not required to have insurance there?

#105051 Aug 7th, 2007 at 05:06 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Tamara I'm glad to see you holding up as you are. Just know that we're all here for you.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
kissie i'm so sorry tamara, but glad you have a good attitude about it.

#105090 Aug 7th, 2007 at 05:46 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
Tam, so sorry to hear about this, prayers to you & if ya' need ANYTHING just holler, k? I would love to send ya' bulbs or whatever ya' need. kissie

[Linked Image]
Land of the FREE, home of the BRAVE
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i too will collect flower seeds for you and send them for next spring! thumbup

what kind of animals do you have?

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Jessica, we are required to have basic insurance on our vehicles but that's it. House insurance is so expensive here that only people with a mortgage have it and it's done with the mortgage.

Thanks everyone for your offers of kindness. kissie

Wendy, we have a small beef cattle farm.

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
glad they were not hurt!

awesome that you don't have a mortgage but i hate that the insurance was too high now!

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Originally Posted by tamara
Jessica, we are required to have basic insurance on our vehicles but that's it. House insurance is so expensive here that only people with a mortgage have it and it's done with the mortgage.

Oh okay! I guess we always have a mortgage so we always have it! lol lol I would like to not have a mortgage though. Someday!

Let us know what you lost and we can see if we can help you replace it! kissie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image