Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#99866 Jul 30th, 2007 at 05:17 AM
dcamp Offline OP
OP Offline
Good Morning.

I have a maple tree in my back yard (25 years old). The back of our house is all windows and in the summer and fall the tree provides much needed shade and a beautiful background scene. Just yesterday a huge branch broke and fell for no apparent reason. Luckily no one was nearby---it could very easily have killed someone standing underneath. Three questions. Does anyone know why something like this would happen? The tree doesn't look diseased. The foliage is full and beautiful.

If there is a problem will the tree have to be removed?

If the tree does have to be removed can anyone suggest a fast growing tree? I am sick about this. I hate to lose the beautiful background scenery it gives and would like to find another tree that wouldn't take too long to provide the same. I live in NE Ohio. Thank you.

Donna

Donna
dcamp #100149 Jul 30th, 2007 at 11:45 AM
Hi Donna -
Keep in mind that the faster they grow, the faster they fall! Fast growing trees (Lombardy Poplar, Bradford Pear) tend to be weak. I'm guessing your tree was a silver maple. http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=5

My husband (he's a Landscape Architect)hates them! Does your tree constantly spit smaller braches?

I agree - it's too bad to lose your shade. Hubby and I compromised - he only took out low hanging branches on the one closest to our house but he really wanted to take the whole thing down. But - we would lose all that wonderful shade, so I just spend a lot of time picking up branches.

Sandy R.
dcamp #100150 Jul 30th, 2007 at 11:46 AM
Hi Donna

I wonder if it is a phenomenon called 'summer limb drop'. I discovered an article that says that some tree types, including maple, are susceptible to this, particularly in July (and, even more specifically, between noon and 4pm, and in situations with little or no wind!). This is apparently quite common and there is no clear cause (though it may be something to do with water stress).

The suggested remedies are preventative:

Most 'branch drops' are of long horizontal limbs, so it is recommended that you remove or shorten and lighten any long horizontal branches.
You can also reduce the branch weight by thinning the foliage, or cut back the long branches to an upright branch closer to the trunk.

I don't know if this helps much - maybe someone else can come up with better advice. Otherwise you could see if Mulder and Scully want to take on the case as an 'X file'!

Last edited by starfish; Jul 30th, 2007 at 11:48 AM.
starfish #100850 Jul 31st, 2007 at 05:11 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

slredmond #104098 Aug 6th, 2007 at 05:02 AM
dcamp Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your responses. Yes, the tree is a silver maple and yes it does spit small branches most of the time. We had a tree trimmer come by this weekend. He's going to "clean up" the tree but not remover it entirely. Whew! He did say that it could happen again.

I think we might plant another tree nearby and give it a head start on growning in the event that the original would have to be removed. Didn't know that fast growing trees fall faster too. Thanks for that info. I'll have to be careful when choosing the new one. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks again,

Donna

Donna
dcamp #120124 Aug 28th, 2007 at 07:28 PM
May I suggest the sugar maple; mine started from seed 1978.
Here's how it looked October last year:

[Linked Image]

Not terribly fast growing, but it's worth the wait, as you can see. If you click on the picture and you'll get a 1066 x 800 (full screen size here).

neko nomad #120136 Aug 28th, 2007 at 08:08 PM
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
rose of sharons, even though they aren't trees[shrubs] can grow fast...

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image