Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102777 Aug 4th, 2007 at 08:30 AM
OP Offline
Hi, I'm new to this forum - (yesterday). My garden has been a work in progress for years and recently certified as a Habitat garden by the Canadian Wildlife Federation. I am looking forward to sharing it with others and receiving any and all advice or insight to help it flourish!

Sounds like my garden...Work In Progress...but it's located in a subdivision backyard, and the only wildlife are squirrels and chipmunks. Am looking forward to hearing more from you. Welcome aboard!

My name is neko nomad, and I'm a plantaholic.....

5k Posts
5k Posts
hello, welcome to the forum! :}

cool your garden was certifird a habitat!

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
See, you are a habitat too!

As for work in progress, ;) well, that's what I tell everyone I'm doing, working. notme Let's face it washing dishes, clothes, etc just doesn't measure up to a few hours play...er...working in the garden!!! clap

Welcome to the forum! I'm new myself.

What does it mean to be "certified as a Habitat Garden"?

OP Offline
Hi there,
I believe the process is the same for both Canada and the United States although there are 2 different organizations running the same type of program.

There is an application, you can fill out online or mail it in. On the application you draw an outline of your garden, details on types of plants/vegetation etc, water sources, and shelters as they relate to providing food, water and living space to wildlife to raise young. They also ask if you use pesticides, uhuhh herbicides, uhuhh compost, flwr etc.

They charge a fee and when your application is approved you recieve a window decal, yard sign and certificate for framing. I have my gallery - you have an ID# so you can share it - listed on the US site because the Canadian one does not have a gallery to showcase gardens yet.

The benefits of a certified garden are all for the critters, there is no other benefit than a huge feeling of personal achievment, but boy it does feel good, and I enjoy the fact that I can justify many more hours in the garden cause now it's for the wildlife!! clap

The US org is called the National Wildlife Federation and the other is the Canadian Wildlife Federation.

And let's be serious to a gardener, talking about a garden is second only to being in it!! wavy

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome, I have a friend who is in the process with CWF, they are going to declare a bird sanctuary on his property through Ducks Unlimited.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
That is so cool and what an amazing accomplishment!! With dwindling undisturbed lands every habitat is a huge plus for our world as much as theirs. Many congratulations!!! clap

#114966 Aug 20th, 2007 at 03:58 PM
OP Offline
I'm between Port Severn and Victoria Harbour. I see you are in Ontario too, where are you located?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image