Print Thread
Rate Thread
#103506 Aug 4th, 2007 at 11:44 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I am so upset. You have all seen my pictures of my cute little fishies I had in my pond.. well the past week or so, they have disappeared. I thought /maybe/ they were just hiding in the bottom/deeper area since it has been so hot.. but today my daughter came running in the house and said there was a snake in my pond. My heart sank. I figure that is what happened to my little pond dwellers. tears I am just sooo upset. I know, I already said that. And you will all probably think I am nuts, but I cried. I know, they are only fish right? Well, not really.. they were pets.... my daughter had them so tame.. to where she could put her hand in and they would swim thru her fingers and let her catch them.

My husband tried and tried to get the snake out of the pond, but we don't have a net.. he was using first a shovel and then a big green grass rake. He never did catch it.. so the little creep is still in there and probably under the deck and who knows where else.

I am just curious, and this question goes out to all of you who have fish in your ponds, how do you keep the snakes away and your fishies safe?? why

I told hubby we are draining the pond for winter.. I don't much care now.. I just want the stupid snake gone.. and if the water is gone, I am sure he will be on his way as well. I am not getting any more fish this year.. maybe next spring, I don't know. Who knew I would become so attached to freaking FISH??? Of course I should have known... I am such a sucker for any type of animal.. and they were just so sweet.. especially the fancy tailed ones.. my daughter is really upset about it. She is only 11.. and the one with the black tips on his fins was her special buddy. tears

So what do I do to keep the snakes away next time?? I do NOT want to go thru this again!!

500 Posts
500 Posts
Aww I am sorry. I know how you feel. The same thing happened to me but I was also fighting the ground hog and there is a bird that would swoop down and fly away with the fish. I brought 100 fish that year.

The snake was easy. I surrounded the pond with barberry cuttings and my rose bush cuttings. He could not slither across the barrier. He realized it was not easy pickins and moved on. I then could remove the barrier.

Good luck next year. Don't give up yet. It is like growing plants you have to keep trying things until it worksout.

Last edited by cinta; Aug 5th, 2007 at 02:16 AM.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #103523 Aug 5th, 2007 at 04:57 AM
3k Posts
3k Posts
Im so sorry, what a dreadful thing to happen. I agree prickly shrubbry around your pond should do the trick...good luck.

[Linked Image]
I am so sorry to hear of your loss! I have a habitat garden so I am familiar with critters getting in and running havoc through hard work and treasured spots. I have trouble with cats mostly but I am terrified of snakes so I got a jug of the powdered lime - the stuff they used for the old outhouses, to keep them out of certain areas. When it is spread on the ground they will not cross it, burns their tummies. I used it under my wood sheds and knock on wood, I have not had a snake yet this year!! A combination of the prickly stuff and lime should keep them away permanently!

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
First of all I'm really sorry. tears I cried when my Betta Fish died I get so attached. If my pond fish were to disappear I'd be devestated...they are named and I sat next to them all winter when I brought them inside into my aquarium. So you aren't overreacting, mine are pets to me as well.

I've never had a snake in my yard (that I've seen), and you don't see them much around here...My fish don't have many threats other than stray cats swiping around in there.

I hope you get yourself some new fish eventually. Maybe you could even get a pond net to put over it to keep things out?

#103788 Aug 5th, 2007 at 11:54 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Sorry to hear the loss of your goldfish tears

I understand you crying over the loss I would also cry if all my goldfish were missing

Don't give up yet. I agree with the lime comments you should get some lime. Another thing I recommend is a floating plastic/wooden crocodile head. It may sound funny but it keeps herons away too

Hadeda #103817 Aug 5th, 2007 at 01:51 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Well go and get Snake Away and put out all around by your
pond that will keep the bad snake away Garden shops are Lowes
should have it ,we live in country and have big lake and we have it to
keep them away it work's Sorry about ur fishy Good Luck

Last edited by bettyboop1948; Aug 5th, 2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelled pond wrong lol
bettyboop1948 #103920 Aug 5th, 2007 at 05:19 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
sorry you lost your fish, that is upsetting,
hope ya get more fish, ya got lots of good advice here, im not shure about snakes, we have em here mostly the black snakes, but they never botherd my fish, coons have! grrrrrr! ate my fav grey koi fish, n tons of gold fish,

[Linked Image]
sibyl #103990 Aug 5th, 2007 at 08:26 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
boohoo
i'm so sad for you, i would be horrified if that happens to mine!!!!!!!!! everything has it's place on the food chain, but NOT in our gardens and ponds!!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
faerywatcher #105976 Aug 8th, 2007 at 07:49 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your fish!! You are not nuts for loving your fish. We had a betta that was a birthday present for my oldest daughter and when he got sick I was running all over town looking for someone to help us save him. Alas we couldn't find anyone and he now has a place of honor in our back yard. God willing time will help with the pain you are all feeling and next year will bring more success. God bless all of you.

Uni

I am blonde please forgive me, Lol.
I found a snake in my pond.I got it out by spraying with the water hose on jet and aiming for his head Basicly I harrassed him until he got out of the pond then I could kill him with a shovel That was a year or so ago and I havent had any more I have had the pond for about 5 years and that is the only snake. Knock on wood. I bought really small koi to start and now they are close to 3 ft long and I do love them I wish I had your Daughter to tame them I probably would not go in house if they were that tame Good Luck next year. Betty

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image