Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
First time user here and I have not figured out all the tricks but I have a stunning double yellow flower that grows 6' tall with lobed leaves. I have been told it has been called an "Outhouse flower". I have seen the photos of the "false sunflower" and there was reference to one that is a double but no one has yet been able to find a name for it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I would love to post a pic but I haven't figured out how to do that yet!

OP Offline
Thank you so much for the info! I would love to know the name for this little beauty. The bloom is 3" across, 2" tall and has a circumference of over 9"!! The entire plant grows to 6' tall. Each stalk produces several blooms on individual stems. It started blooming in July, is very drought tolerant and appears to thrive in full sun.

[img][IMG]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/maellinsmom/outhouseflowerwleaf.jpg[/img][/img]

WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
Oh, I've got that flower too, and have never had it id'd for me. Will watch this to see. They get soooooooo tall. I think mine have aphids right now, will have to spray them with some soapy water. I call them Pom pom flowers, LOL, but that's just me.

[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Looks very much like a dinner plate dahlia idea

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
Yes, it kinda does Angel, but No, The flower is probably 3-4" diameter if it's the same thing I've got.

Also it's a perenial here in Maine(zone 4), which Dahlia's are not, have to dig 'em up and store them for winter.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
oh yes they really do look and even feel like pompoms! I was searching the net a few days ago and found a reference to the "false sunflowers" but as I'm sure you have found, they are a single flower. The posting mentioned these double ones but sadly could not remember the name of it either. Well here's hoping we find someone who knows! Thanks for the note!

OP Offline
This is definitely a low maintenance perennial, no digging, but absolutely it does have a dahlia look to it. I think that's why I fell in love with it!

1k Posts
1k Posts

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

OP Offline
OH YES!!! Thank you so much! That's it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image